New Dwarfpool Monero Mining Docker Image

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

JazzFaucet

May 19, 2017
@Patrick Are you able to comment on the difference in hashrate (if any) between running a miner inside a Docker container vs outside? Specifically I am thinking of your dwarfpool Monero image vs say xmr-stak-cpu. This might not be an apples to apples comparison, but still. Just curious to know if there is a price to be paid for the convenience of being able to deploy an image via a swarm...

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Wolf's and stak are different miners. Stak will be better if you have a low number of machines. Once you get to dozens of different configurations (and using them part time) you need to use something that can easily scale out and losing low single digits percentage is usually worth it.

If I had one machine mining 24x7, I would use stak. If I wanted to learn docker and scale an operation, then moving to a container solution helps. Containerizing Wolf's loses less than 0.5% over bare metal which is a testing variation.

dabbler

Nov 24, 2016
Then I have no further theory as to why it won't work.

But I do know that it is this: "Driver does not support CUDA 5.5 API! Update your nVidia driver!" that is killing it.
Hi, re-installing to the latest docker version fixed this problem for me. Good luck.

Marcos Laue

Jun 5, 2017
What am I supposed to be looking at?
In my tests minergate has almost the same hashrate/s than wolf's,

These test by this guy achieve a better h/s with claymore windows thans minergate/wolf's....

"i7-2600k Win7 Ultimate 64-bit:
- 150 H/s using MinerGate
- 250 H/s using Claymore Cryptonote CPU miner v3.5 (4 threads used)

i7-6800k Win7 Pro 64-bit:
- 260 H/s using MinerGate
- 360 H/s using Claymore Cryptonote CPU miner v3.5 (7 threads used)"

blakwolf

Apr 17, 2017
Just set up the dwarfpool docker image on this DL380p G7. docker logs is showing 220 H/s, but I haven't been able to track H/s from the dwarfpool.com/xmr page. I should be able to just track it using my wallet address, right?

blakwolf

Apr 17, 2017
Ahh, thanks. There might have been some issues that were fixed after the website maintenance last night. Seems to work now. Hash speed checks out on the webpage.

Trying the -e threads option with the nproc image gave a huge boost! Using 11 threads (for a dual X5660 DL380 G7) , has rate went up to 420 H/s compared to 220 H/s on latest image. Thanks for adding that Patrick!

To reduce power costs, I should probably pull most of the RAM out of the box. Really don't need all 144GB of ram for a test ESXi environment and mining on the side. Would switching to L5640 CPUs make that much of a difference?

JazzFaucet

May 19, 2017
@Patrick when you next update the image, can you please consider adding the ability to set a fixed difficulty. I note that for my OCP nodes, difficulty starts off at 100K or so, and gradually decreases to 20K. It would be nice to be able to set that as the starting value instead.

Reactions: Patrick

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Ah maybe that is the reason. Docker on Windows is running in a VM... likely that is screwing up the thread counts. These miners work best on bare metal. Docker on Windows uses a Hyper-V VM to run Linux and then run containers atop of that.

Amir

Feb 21, 2018
Hi Guys ,

I'm using dwarfpool servethehome/monero_dwarfpool:latest docker to mine Monero and in the last days facing issues to run the docker.

Docker log stack on "Cloning into 'cpuminer-multi'..."

any thoughts ?

Thanks