New desktop recomendations

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

S-F

Feb 9, 2011
My Q6600 desktop is way over the hill and needs to be sent packing. I've been toying with the idea of building a system with an E5 2670.

Here are my needs:

1. Fast enough
  2. ECC
  3. S/PDIF
  4. Sleep
  5. One HDMI and one DVI
I'm thinking about this board: SUPERMICRO X9SRA Single Socket R (LGA 2011) E5 ATX Workstation/Server Motherboard DDR3 1600 12xUSB, 2x PCI-E 3.0 x16 - Newegg.com.

Any recommendations on a video card? I play absolutely no video games.
Any recommendations on a CPU cooler?

Is something crazy on the horizon about to hit the market that I should wait for?

Any other recommendations at all?

Thanks all.

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
I mean... What are you doing with it.... might get away with an E3 with igp...

S-F

Feb 9, 2011
Probably. Any suggestions? The big catch is sleep and S/PDIF. That board has these features.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
"Fast enough" is very vauge both my dual x5675 desktop and i5-4200u laptop are "fast enough"
what are you doing that calls for ecc it would help with reccomendations especially at the point of an E3 being a valid suggestion, especially one with the iris pro 6300 although a current skylake one should do just as well while offering more memory capacity(up to 64gb if i'm not mistaken)

I wouldn't count S/PDIF as a requirement on board something like this http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Adapter-External-Digital-ICUSBAUDIO7D/dp/B002LM0U2S offers it via usb and has the advantage of being separate from the on board sound(I often send different things through my headset and speakers at the same time)
Isn't sleep offered on everything?
most boards with onboard graphics will offer HDMI+VGA+DVI this is a good example of one that would support a skylake e3 xeon, offer all the ports you want(including spdif) there are some others that offer options for things like NVME drives if you want to use one of those
MSI C236M Workstation LGA 1151 Intel C236 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com

Last edited:

JorgeAtSalk

May 19, 2015

S-F

Feb 9, 2011
Well, I put this off waiting to see how Ryzen was gong to pan out and I'm not sold mainly due to there not being any mother boards coming on the market that I think are robust enough. I'd rather poke a fork in my eye than use one of those "gaming" boards. There will probably be great Epyc boards coming but those processors are way overkill for me. So should I go with a S 1151 SM board and an E3-1200? But now I'm torn with all of the bad Intel news. Dios mio man. I could use the video card I already have. I don't know what it is but it works. I guess the question is, how much do the Specter / Meltdown patches effect system snaptivity?

fractal

Jun 7, 2016
Lenovo S30 or HP Z420 or ... Complete system on ebay for less than the price of that motherboard.

Reactions: BLinux

S-F

Feb 9, 2011
Lenovo S30 or HP Z420 or ... Complete system on ebay for less than the price of that motherboard.

Are these systems NVME able? I guess that's some criteria I haven't mentioned yet. I don't like to buy new systems often so I want this to be somewhat futureproof.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
^ what he said... Already assembled and working saves a lot of time not tinkering with compatibility issues. Those types of systems are great value. Last year I picked up a hp z800 with dual x5675 and 48gb ram for $200 shipped. It was mainly for my son to do school work, play, and learn programming. Amazing value for the money.

fractal

Jun 7, 2016
Are these systems NVME able? I guess that's some criteria I haven't mentioned yet. I don't like to buy new systems often so I want this to be somewhat futureproof.
No clue. I went from a Q6600 winxp box I build when it was the hot thing to a Z400 last year and just love it. I wouldn't buy a Z400 now but a Z420 is a good choice. I have one in the other room as a esxi test box.

Oh, did I mention I did a P2V of the Q6600 to the Z420 before I put the old system in the garage? It is amazing how often I spin it up to find something or run a licensed app that I never migrated. Heaps and bunches of faster too.

Consider possibly not future proofing as much as cost averaging. A first gen E5 box like the S20/Z420 are value priced, hold enough memory for what most of us do and are reasonably speedy.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
I thew a media sample(I write for a different site) NVME drive I had in my precision T7600 and was able to use it as a data volume but not as a bootable device. It worked great for video editing!