New Cisco Small Business WiFi6 AP

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

unmesh

Apr 17, 2017
Stumbled upon this reasonably priced AP and was wondering if someone here had experience with it. It looks like they are targeting Unifi and TP-Link Omada customers.

802.11ax 2-stream AP, VT80, DFS, beamforming, controller-less, fast roaming, VLANs, captive portal, mesh support, powered off included passive injector or 802.11af POE etc

Reactions: BoredSysadmin

coxhaus

Jul 7, 2020
I just ordered a couple for my home network. Not here yet. I only paid $105 each from Provantage. It sounds like a deal for all the features.

coxhaus

Jul 7, 2020
i have been running these for a little while and they seem good no complaints. I may add one more AP when I have some time after the holidays. I have an old home large rectangle home 3200+ sq ft for a total of 3 APs.

And yes, I run VLANs using a small Cisco SG350-10P layer 3 switch. I have 2 wireless SSID broadcast which are VLANs on the above wireless APs which are configured as 1 virtual AP to have roaming.

Last edited:

unmesh

Apr 17, 2017
i have been running these for a little while and they seem good no complaints. I may add one more AP when I have some time after the holidays. I have an old home large rectangle home 3200+ sq ft for a total of 3 APs.

And yes, I run VLANs using a small Cisco SG350-10P layer 3 switch. I have 2 wireless SSID broadcast which are VLANs on the above wireless APs which are configured as 1 virtual AP to have roaming.
Does it really take 10 minutes to reboot? (Hopefully don't have to reboot often!)

And how is the wireless performance over whatever you had previously? I'm currently using preowned Ruckus R600s which have been rock solid and are 3x3:3 so I'm on the fence about whether this is an upgrade

Last edited:

coxhaus

Jul 7, 2020
I don't think it takes 10 minutes to reboot maybe 3 minutes, but I live in the city and our power does not go out often. Oh, I think this is a security feature. I assume they are downloading code from the internet so it can't be permanently hacked.

I have never run a Ruckus wireless unit, so I don't know. You guys on this forum think they are better than everything else. Why do you want to upgrade? A 3x3 seems weird to me. I would think you either want 2x2 or 4x4.

I don't think everything is linking correctly but I have not figured it out. I run WPA2 + WPA3 and it runs 24/7 and all client's work. Some of the link rates look low to me. It could just be me, but I can't test right now as my family won't let. I plan on adding a third unit as I live in an old large rectangle one story house 3200+ sq ft next month. I ran 3 Cisco WAP371 units in the past.

I hope Cisco adds support for Bluetooth as I run Apple's HomeKit and I only have Bluetooth coverage in half my house. When in the front I can control devices in the front and not the back of my house and vice versa in the back of my house.

PS
The POE+ power is really low draw as it only pulls 23 watts for 2 APs.

Last edited:

rotor

Sep 16, 2013
I don't think it takes 10 minutes to reboot maybe 3 minutes, but I live in the city and our power does not go out often. Oh, I think this is a security feature. I assume they are downloading code from the internet so it can't be permanently hacked.

I have never run a Ruckus wireless unit, so I don't know. You guys on this forum think they are better than everything else. Why do you want to upgrade? A 3x3 seems weird to me. I would think you either want 2x2 or 4x4.

I don't think everything is linking correctly but I have not figured it out. I run WPA2 + WPA3 and it runs 24/7 and all client's work. Some of the link rates look low to me. It could just be me, but I can't test right now as my family won't let. I plan on adding a third unit as I live in an old large rectangle one story house 3200+ sq ft next month. I ran 3 Cisco WAP371 units in the past.

I hope Cisco adds support for Bluetooth as I run Apple's HomeKit and I only have Bluetooth coverage in half my house. When in the front I can control devices in the front and not the back of my house and vice versa in the back of my house.

PS
The POE+ power is really low draw as it only pulls 23 watts for 2 APs.
Interested to know if you have Sonos and/or Ring doorbell, and whether they work ok. Also, can you choose channels per AP and does it stick?