New Chair Time!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I got my first Steelcase Leap in Jan 2007, 10 years ago. Then I got my second Steelcase Leap in Aug 2011. I still have the first but it's rarely if ever used and I should probably throw it away or sell it cheap on Craigslist. I'm not sure if the 2nd was used and then dry cleaned but it never sat as comfy as the first. The chairs look the same so I would take a guess that they're both V2 versions, both have the square arm rests.

I'm about ready to buy a 3rd but thought I'd ask what other high-end ultra-adjustable chair are you guys using?

I'm very picky about ergonomics and setup of the arm rests, seat depth, pressure on legs, etc, and that's why I really like the adjustability of the leap. I only weigh around 150lbs and the seat is hard feeling now on this chair. To me my first one is more comfortable. The first one I had I upgraded some random stuff (I have build sheet) but I don't see anything about seat itself, or padding just the base, casters, lumbar and colors. 2nd chair is more scratchy fabric, 1st is softer. There seem to be small differences but the overall appearance is the same.

It looks like the first go around was $823 delivered with tax, the second one I paid around $650 delivered so I would hopefully find something <$900.

Suggestions? Or just stick with the leap? Anyone hear of a NEW V3?

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
I have to say that I did take a bit to get used to but I eventually did convert over to an original Aeron chair about a decade ago at my old company and just bought the chairs (and desks and most of their server room ;) ) when they went under 4 years ago now. I didn't like them the first times I sat in one for a few hours here and there, but when my main desk chair had the hydraulics die I spent the time in an Aeron to adjust it right for me and have used them since. The biggest thing I like about them is they keep me cool when sitting for long periods of time, provide support but don't have pressure points that cause issues, and don't cut off leg circulation for me.

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
I've been tossing around the idea of getting a gaming chair. They look terrible. Comfy looking and not too expensive.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
I have to say that I did take a bit to get used to but I eventually did convert over to an original Aeron chair about a decade ago at my old company and just bought the chairs (and desks and most of their server room ;) ) when they went under 4 years ago now. I didn't like them the first times I sat in one for a few hours here and there, but when my main desk chair had the hydraulics die I spent the time in an Aeron to adjust it right for me and have used them since. The biggest thing I like about them is they keep me cool when sitting for long periods of time, provide support but don't have pressure points that cause issues, and don't cut off leg circulation for me.
Good to know. I haven't kept up with those, did they come out with a new version? I sat in them and didn't like them as much as the steelcase leap.

I'll have to find a ergo store and try out some of these and compare again maybe new magic chairs I haven't tried yet :D

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
I have extremely little confidence in non adjustable faux racing style chairs.

If you have plenty of time to shop for a chair that properly fits you I'm sure there are cheaper options than the leap or Aeron but I don't think that buying junk advertised as a gaming chair is a great idea.. I believe Ikea has a real work chair that's worth trying if you are on a budget. I spend 60-80 hours per week in my damn chair with no sign of escape.... I should buy a decent chair.

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
Good to know. I haven't kept up with those, did they come out with a new version?
Apparently they refreshed the design a bit, I noticed it when I went to their page last night
Aeron Chairs Remastered

I have not tried the newer ones in person but I have seen the light grey ones in a few offices I have been in. They don't look significantly different than mine, just different knobs and the lumbar support appears to have an extra support pad.

BobbyB

Dec 26, 2016
Tried expensive (~1k) leather chairs, work provided several higher priced (~5-700Eur retail) chairs and in the end, I'm the happiest person in an Aeron. Bought 2 years ago, refurbished version through ebay for ~500 that looks like new, it's great and will be with me for a long time. Sat in them many times in other offices and the biggest benefit that vast majority of expensive chairs simply does not have is the vented arse/leg area.
If you sit for hours like many do in IT, there is nothing better than vented seats.
Keep in mind there are several sizes and if you are 6' and up, consider size C - wider but also longer seat area! Important due to the curvature and where your legs end, often seats are too short to accommodate everyone with one size. As always, YMMW as it depends on body type.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Thanks guys! I have no interest in a gaming chair or low-end chair. They're not going to last 2 years for me let alone the 5 I've been getting out of my Leap nor provide all the adjustments, and support.

The mesh aeron design is interesting, hoping I can find a local store to try it out without driving more than an hour or so. Maybe this would warrant a trip down the Bay Area though for a date night. LOL, we're going chair shopping and out for dinner!! IT Date nights.

My wife suggested I find some nice breathable cushion and re-stuff the old chair I'm not using, but liked better. (Still a V2 Leap)
This is something I may do since cost would be minimal and it may be exactly what's needed and even if I don't like it I can keep it around for others to use.

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
Try finding a commercial 2nd hand supply store... I have one about 45 minutes away that I have gotten used leaps from for $60... and they should last you 3-5 yrs. I got 8 out of my first one but should have probably let it go sooner lol.

Reactions: T_Minus

chilipepperz

Mar 17, 2016
I've used the steelcase but I've leaned more to the gaming idea if I can get a black one. For $60 I'd get the steelcase.

modder man

Jan 19, 2015
Try finding a commercial 2nd hand supply store... I have one about 45 minutes away that I have gotten used leaps from for $60... and they should last you 3-5 yrs. I got 8 out of my first one but should have probably let it go sooner lol.
I found some leaps at a local second hand office store. Unfortunately they sell them for $400 each

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Still sitting on this thing and my rear was getting sore the other day after only 2 hours, something I should have purchased last year before end of year... LOL.

Maybe this summer I'll spring for a replacement leap :D

edge

Apr 22, 2013
I am still using the big Aeron I bought in 98. I have only had to replace the lumbar support (once), otherwise it would all be original if I hadn't bought new casters (made with inline skate wheels, awesomely smooth and easy)..

larrysb

Nov 7, 2018
Go to youtube and find the Gamers Nexus channel. They did a recent deep dive into Gamer Chairs.... and why you should NOT get one!

They also covered several good office chairs.

Personally, I have been a fan of the Aeron for nearly 20 years. First time I sat in one, I wasn't so sure. But the ergo eval team at my employer at the time got me into one, the right size model (size C, they come in A, B, and C size) and the right options and taught me how to use it properly and setup my office desk to the right height.

When the original dot-com bubble popped, every liquidator in Silicon Valley had thousands of Aerons. I bought one for less than half of retail still wrapped in the packing material. Now I own two, both bought second-hand. They hold up incredibly well too.

There are lots of variations of the Aeron. They have an office or task chair, with a lot of optional equipment. Then they have the meeting room chairs with almost no options. You want the one with ALL the options and the lumbar support of your preference. The tilt-forward function is great for long hours of coding.