New Build this is what im looking at (any suggestions)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

fnc1

Sep 23, 2011
So I'm building out a new Hardware RAID 6 server... this is for the home, and will house mainly media (some dd images)

I have been trying to find a cheap MB/CPU that will meat my needs:
1) Support ECC memory
2) PCIe 2.0 x8 slot support for a 3ware 9750

Newegg has the:
SUPERMICRO MBD-X9SCM-O for ~173.00
or one of the
SUPERMICRO MBD-X96CL Boards for 159.00-188.00
and I would really like to use this low power CPU (still trying to determine if it will work or not:
Intel Pentium Dual-Core G620T for 83.00

Now It's really just a nice file server I'm not going to be crunching numbers or serveing lots of people.
With this MB/CPU combo I am at ~$242.00. Cheap and low power is the name of the game here For the requirements Is there something else I should be looking at?

I'm also torn if i end up with one of the boards linked above, any recommendations, which one i should get and why?

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Need a bit more info to be helpful. Anything about your application you can tell us would help. Here are a few questions to get you started:

- Do you plan to virtualize using ESXi or otherwise?
- Is encryption speed important to you?
- Do you need any expansions other than that single x8 card?
- Are you committed to Intel?
- Do you feel strongly about staying on current hardware - would you consider prior generation CPUs?
- Do you need/want remote management (IPMI, etc)?

fnc1

Sep 23, 2011
Really its just a fancy File server!
- Do you plan to virtualize using ESXi or otherwise?
Nope
- Is encryption speed important to you?
No encrption
- Do you need any expansions other than that single x8 card?
Not if i end up with the chenbro 6GB 32 port card
- Are you committed to Intel?
I would prefer Intel... um yeah we can go ahead and say commited *unless you make a really good argument $$$$
- Do you feel strongly about staying on current hardware - would you consider prior generation CPUs?
what ever works (but i do want to use 6GB/s
- Do you need/want remote management (IPMI, etc)?
Not even sure what all benefits IPMI would give me, I think as long as i can shut down with the battery has so much time left, and maybe have WOL id be good...

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
With lost cost and low power being your first priority and those answers to the above, I'd take a strong look at some of the prior generation Athlon II products. Socket AM3 or even AM2+ products all support ECC memory in the CPU and some consumer-class motherboards enable ECC. Lots of servers around using things like the Athlon II 250 (or similar) on a Biostar A760G M2+ (or similar) motherboard. If you shop carefully you should be able to get the MB and CPU both for less than $80. Should idle at or just below 30 watts, which isn't quite as good as you can do with current generation Intel, but you can't do current generation Intel anywhere near that price point.

Good thing about the Chenbro SAS expander compared to HP is that it uses a separate Molex power connector so it doesn't have any dependency on the MB except a slot for mechanical stability (any type of slot - PCI, PCIe x1, x4, etc).

fnc1

Sep 23, 2011
Hrm, so the cheapest AM3 on newegg is $29 AMD Sempron 130 Sargas 2.6GHz 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 45W
Where can one lookup if this chip does indeed support ECC - its seems pretty low end - and i want to check

On the Biostar A760G M2+ (on Biostars webpage, it doesnt say that it supports ECC memory
# Support Dual Channel DDR2 533/667/800/1066(1066 by AM2+ CPU) MHz
# 2 x DDR2 DIMM Memory Slot
# Max. Supports up to 8GB Memory)

Same with all the following MotherBoards which Do not say they support ECC
ASRock A770DE+
ASRock A785GM-LE
Foxconn A76ML-K
Foxconn M61PMP-K
MSI NF725GM-P43
Biostar A770E3

Am i missing something???

Yeah, I thought that about the Chenbro also, but i would like to try a HP with my card and see how it does... and Id really like to get the Sata iii 6GB/s - but for now I cant find the chenbro in stock anywhere.

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
ECC RAM for 1156/1155 boards need Xeon CPU's, the memory controllers are on the CPU now.

You should look at a Xeon E3-1220L @ 20w but only 2 core, or a Xeon E3-1260L Quad Core (45w) all others are 95w

The new Intel Chipsets only support SATA3 on 2 ports all the other ports will be SATA2.
I think the 1155 like 1156 CPUs XEONs support 32GB max, normal CPU's max out at 16GB

So a new 1155 Mobo with low power Xeon and 16x 1TB of your ES HDDs on a 3Ware 9750-16i you'll be laughing.
The HDD's will draw more power than the rest of the system combined.

emc

Sep 15, 2011
What about AMD solution .... ASUS 970/990 series MB with ECC. Size CPU accordingly. A 970 board & 955 BE will come in under $250. ECC is a wash.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
He wants ECC = Xeon no other way round it.
E3 1220L is cheapest 1155 Xeon
Not true unless he also insists on Intel. See above for AMD options. AMDs ECC support extends into their consumer offerings, subject to MB manufacturer support in the BIOS. You can get AMD systems with ECC support for <$100 at performance levels suitable for a NAS - even a fairly sophisticated NAS - and keep the MB/CPU power consumption at about 30W or less. Even lower power with newer products, but then you start to compromise cost - its a balancing act.

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
Not true unless he also insists on Intel. See above for AMD options. AMDs ECC support extends into their consumer offerings, subject to MB manufacturer support in the BIOS. You can get AMD systems with ECC support for <$100 at performance levels suitable for a NAS - even a fairly sophisticated NAS - and keep the MB/CPU power consumption at about 30W or less. Even lower power with newer products, but then you start to compromise cost - its a balancing act.
Yes there is AMD, not been down the AMD road since the first Athlon, have no clue on what they now do or don't.

"All AMD Athlon/Phenom processors support ECC RAM as long as it is unregistered and unbuffered. AMD Opteron 2000/8000 series processors required registered ECC RAM; while the Opteron 1000 series will work with ECC unregistered/unbuffered memory only."
But alas if you go Intel and you want ECC you have to have a Xeon with LGA1156/1155, due to memory controller now on the CPU.

The LSI 9750 is going to end up way more powerful then the actual computer :D

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
Right, just released from Intel yesterday (sorry AMD folk) the Atom D2700 at a massive 10w TDP
Dual Core/4 Threads, the D2500 Dual core/2 Threads (no HT)
Get this on an all in one Motherboard, it should come with a PCIe 2.0 16x slot for the 3Ware 9750
Most Atom/Mobo combos come with IPMI v2.0
Probably as low powered as Intel is going to get till next die reduction
No ECC, I can't see the need for it on a Home Video storage server.

More info at Toms HW and Anandtech etc.

Last edited:

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
Won't 1155 Core-i3's and Pentium Gxxx series work with ECC when used on server chipsets ( C202, C204, C206 )?
Nope, the CPU has the memory controller on it, hence no ECC capable controller on CPU = no ECC
The joy of the North Bridge going onto the CPU.

Memory Specifications
Max Memory Size (dependent on memory type) 16 GB
Memory Types DDR3-1066/1333
# of Memory Channels 2
Max Memory Bandwidth 21.3 GB/s
ECC Memory Supported No
E3-2330E specs for memory

Was a steep learning curve when I got my X3470 in the end I didn't even get ECC RAM and got a P55 chipset for my Xeon.
But the Desktop Mobo does allow me to run the baby at 4Ghz.

You could go for an older lga775 chipset CPU with a ECC capable Northbridge Mobo
Then get a Core Duo (L2500) @15w or something.
But then again you would not have PCIe 2.0 16x but you would have ECC

Last edited:

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Intel has confirmed elsewhere that the I3 and Pentium series processors do support ECC memory, while i5/i7 series do not.

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
I'm just going by what I learned in setting up my system, has been a year now.

I would still get a Xeon to guarantee that ECC works, as a G620 may possibly work with ECC but does it actually check/set Parity ?

Info on all but the latest Mobo's and ECC: http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/cs-009023.htm

Need a list of CPU's with ECC support

Someone trying to build a system with a G620 and ECC http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1639448

Good thing about doing homework saves dissapointment later.