New Adaptec 3405 but VMware can't format it?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Ch33rios

Nov 29, 2016
Thanks to a generous forum member, I just installed an Adaptec 3405 RAID controller today but after hooking up 2x2TB HDD's and setting up the new array in the controller BIOS for RAID0, I cant get ESXi 6.5 to successfully format the identified disk.

In other words in the vSphere web client I can successfully see the RAID0 disk, but when I go to format, I get the following error:

At least one corrupt resource metadata region was detected on volume......

Any thoughts? I reset the RAID card to factory defaults so its running standard setup which I would assume is ok.

Peanuthead

Jun 12, 2015
Sounds like the drives need to be initialized. Do you still have old data partitions on them by chance? It sounds like it's not able to make the metadata partition or you have corruption somewhere on the disk possibly.

Tom5051

Jan 18, 2017
The Adaptec 3 series are not supported by ESXi 6.x and also not supported on EFI motherboards.

Assuming it does work somehow, did you initialise the new disks in the Adaptec bios utility before you created the new array?

Peanuthead

Jun 12, 2015
I know they are supported in version 5. You can always try manually loading the Vib in the ISO