NEW 2TB Hitachi @ $50/piece SAS2

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
Hi @J- I'd be interested in some SMART data about the drives. Especially if they are new or used and how good the packaging is.
Thanks.:)

azev

Jan 18, 2013
Hi @J- I'd be interested in some SMART data about the drives. Especially if they are new or used and how good the packaging is.
Thanks.:)
Looking from the anti static bag it looked original. This may have some 3rd party firmware in it though.

roswellian

Oct 18, 2013
I offered to buy 6 and wait for seller's reponse now...might get rejected soon due to the popularity. lol

J--

Aug 13, 2016

Cybertron

Oct 4, 2016
Atlanta, GA
Can someone explain or point me to an article that explains this sector size default that you folks are referring to? I usually select 1Mb on my H700 controller when doing a vmware datastore, and i dont really change it any other time. But you guys are saying these drives and others i've seen posted need to be low level formatted or something first? I'm planning a ZFS build and i assume this will be more important in that case then when i initialize the drives on my H700 controller.

BackupProphet

Jul 2, 2014
Stavanger, Norway
olavgg.com
Think about it this way.

You want to update some data, for example you want to edit your post here. First you need to read it, modify it in memory and write it back. If the block size is set to 1MB, then you need to read 1MB, change the 200 bytes of text and then write back 1MB. Not very efficient. 4kb would be a lot better for this task.

On the other hand, if you have static data/ big file that never changes and you usually read it sequentially , you can save some additional storage overhead that is consumed by metadata by having a large block size, for ZFS this could be checksums and block references.

Reactions: Cybertron

J--

Aug 13, 2016
512 is the one to use for these drives because it can be divided into 4096, which is the sector size of all new "Advanced Format" drives. The 520 and 528 will cause a mismatch, and stores unnecessary info if you have these in a modern self correcting filesystem.

Reactions: Cybertron and Boddy