New 10gbase-t network - need cables

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TangoWhiskey9

Jun 28, 2013
I got the OK to go build 3 new racks using 2 10gbase-t cisco switches we had on hand. I heard that 10gbase-t is really sensitive to cable length and type. Power required scales with length and lack of shielding.

Where are you guys getting cables? cat6 or cat6a?

I've been thinking about just Amazoning a bunch since they're cheaper than getting locally. I know I should crimp my own but I don't really want to waste time with that.
Cat6a - Amazon.com: Cable Matters® 5 Pack, Cat6a Snagless Shielded (SSTP/SFTP) Ethernet Patch Cable in Blue 3 Feet: Computers & Accessories
Cat6 - Amazon.com: Cable Matters® 5-Pack, Cat6 Snagless Ethernet Patch Cable in White 3 Feet: Computers & Accessories

I think the racks are maybe 800mm wide and 2100mm tall. So three racks spanned with cables should not be more than 1600+2100mm max cable length or 3700mm = 4m or so. Add a bit in and we are talking max 15ft runs or so. Too much to do Cat6 v Cat6a? I know Cat6 is easier to bend so that would be good.

Also anyone with experience on that brand of cable? Any good or trash?

Lance Joseph

Oct 5, 2014
I got the OK to go build 3 new racks using 2 10gbase-t cisco switches we had on hand. I heard that 10gbase-t is really sensitive to cable length and type. Power required scales with length and lack of shielding.

Where are you guys getting cables? cat6 or cat6a?

I've been thinking about just Amazoning a bunch since they're cheaper than getting locally. I know I should crimp my own but I don't really want to waste time with that.
Cat6a - Amazon.com: Cable Matters® 5 Pack, Cat6a Snagless Shielded (SSTP/SFTP) Ethernet Patch Cable in Blue 3 Feet: Computers & Accessories
Cat6 - Amazon.com: Cable Matters® 5-Pack, Cat6 Snagless Ethernet Patch Cable in White 3 Feet: Computers & Accessories

I think the racks are maybe 800mm wide and 2100mm tall. So three racks spanned with cables should not be more than 1600+2100mm max cable length or 3700mm = 4m or so. Add a bit in and we are talking max 15ft runs or so. Too much to do Cat6 v Cat6a? I know Cat6 is easier to bend so that would be good.

Also anyone with experience on that brand of cable? Any good or trash?
CAT6A shouldn't have any issue with the run lengths that you describe.
I've had a good experience buying CAT6A in bulk from Monoprice.
They've a nice selection of lengths and colors too.

Reactions: TangoWhiskey9

neo

Mar 18, 2015
Have you considered buying a high quality spool of Belden branded cat6 cables and building your own?

TangoWhiskey9

Jun 28, 2013
CAT6A shouldn't have any issue with the run lengths that you describe.
I've had a good experience buying CAT6A in bulk from Monoprice.
They've a nice selection of lengths and colors too.
What about standard Cat6?

Looks like Monoprice is almost all blue for their Cat6a: Cat6A STP (Shielded Twist Pair) Straight Cables - Monoprice.com except for the 35ft pink. Seems like the same for cablematters/ amazon.

Pricing cat6a 7ft:
Monoprice - $4.12 ea or $20.60/ 5 - Cat6A 24AWG STP Ethernet Network Patch Cable, 7ft Blue - Monoprice.com
Amazon - $18.99/ 5 with prime. Amazon.com: Cable Matters® 5 Pack, Cat6a Snagless Shielded (SSTP/SFTP) Ethernet Patch Cable in Blue 5 Feet: Computers & Accessories

They look about the same.

I don't really care about saving $1 per cable as much as I do the bend-ability using Cat6 instead of Cat6a. Many colors would be nice too.

Cat6 OK for staying within 3 racks?

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
Within the same rack I can tell you Cat6 is fine. Isn't the max length around 120ft or 150 or something? With modern NICs and switches I bet its closer to 150ft. More than enough for a few racks bottom top top bottom.

Lance Joseph

Oct 5, 2014
What about standard Cat6?

Looks like Monoprice is almost all blue for their Cat6a: Cat6A STP (Shielded Twist Pair) Straight Cables - Monoprice.com except for the 35ft pink. Seems like the same for cablematters/ amazon.

Pricing cat6a 7ft:
Monoprice - $4.12 ea or $20.60/ 5 - Cat6A 24AWG STP Ethernet Network Patch Cable, 7ft Blue - Monoprice.com
Amazon - $18.99/ 5 with prime. Amazon.com: Cable Matters® 5 Pack, Cat6a Snagless Shielded (SSTP/SFTP) Ethernet Patch Cable in Blue 5 Feet: Computers & Accessories

They look about the same.

I don't really care about saving $1 per cable as much as I do the bend-ability using Cat6 instead of Cat6a. Many colors would be nice too.

Cat6 OK for staying within 3 racks?
It's extremely useful if you keep the colors consistent based upon the type of cable.
For instance, I use green for Cat5e, light blue for Cat6, and dark blue for Cat6e.
Otherwise it may be slow to identify the kind of cable you have in hand.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Kyle_Bennett - HardOCP Editor-in-Chief said:
Monoprice Extended 15% Site Wide
Just got an email alert on this from Monoprice.

HOT15 - 15% sitewide.

AV20 - 20% off wall mounts.
Just saw this, and thought you may find it useful :)

CODE = HOT15

TangoWhiskey9

Jun 28, 2013
Thanks! I ended up ordering a set of cables from Amazon. These come in 2 days easily so I figured it is 48hours and $200 mistake worst case.

@Lance Joseph We actually use cable colors for a different purpose. Management, Switch A connection, Switch B connection and so forth. If I can keep all Cat6 then we're all set.

Reactions: Patriot