Networking Services don’t auto-start on boot up - Dell R720 w/ proxmox (Warning: Beginner User)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

The_MisFitz

Dec 6, 2019
I’m working on a home server project using a Dell R720 to serve as a NAS, PLEX server, and torrent grabber. This is my first server ever and my first experience in networking, server hardware, and Linux. Because of this, I do not know how to carry out the three functions listed out above so I’m trying to tackle each objective individually.

Currently, I have proxmox successfully installed and that’s as far as I’ve gotten. Unfortunately, I cannot access the web GUI on startup. After a few nights utilizing the help of the /r/home lab discord, I discovered I was able to access the web GUI after I restarted the networking service on proxmox, directly from the server. The exact commands I used are below.

“service networking restart”
“service pveproxy restart”

After running these two commands, I am able to access the Web GUI from another device on my home network (desktop PC). I need to figure out how to fix this so that these services are either already functioning upon boot, or automatically running the two commands on boot so I can access the Web GUI without having a monitor and keyboard hooked up to the server at all times.

As I said earlier, this is my first experience with Linux so I’m sure there is other significant info that is needed. Please tell me what information would be useful and how to obtain it (if through the console) and I’d be happy to provide. I greatly appreciate all help regarding this!

P.S. This is my first time on this forum so if this was posted in the wrong section, I apologize. Please advise as to where it should be.

laserpaddy

Jul 17, 2017
out there
When I previously had proxmox installed(about to do again after rebuilding) I never had an issue with my network starting during reboots. Have you looked at logs? And are you running newest release?
I am assuming that during initial install proxmox identified and connected ok..

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Did you change hostname and/or IP address after initial installation?
check your /etc/host file.
Could you ping your gateway, dns server , yahoo.com ?

The_MisFitz

Dec 6, 2019
For some reason, it is now working. I don’t know what I did but I no longer need to restart networking services for it to connect now.