Networking Noob - Need to run a part combo to make sure all will work together.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

bmill

Nov 22, 2021
AZ
I acquired a Brocade ICX6450-48P as I needed more then a dumb switch and also a way to break into 10GbE for a decent price.

At the moment I am wanting to connect 2 machines to the SFP+ 10GbE ports on the switch in the most cost effective manner. The 2 machines and the switch are very close in proximity to each other.

What I have in mind is using these in the 2 computers - Intel X520-DA1 E10G41BTDA 10GbE Ethernet Converged Network Adapter and then connect them from the SFP+ ports from the switch to the computers with this WiiTek SFP+ cable.

Appreciate the advice

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
you don't mention which OS - so conceivably that could make a difference. However I've had very good luck using mellanox connectx-3's... Single port (like your X520-DA1) run about $30USD or less. I can't get your cable link to complete so here's my advice for SFP+ DAC - I'd go with used cisco sfp+ DAC (up to 5m) which will cost between say $10USD to $30USD depending on length and the seller. If you want new, FS.COM SFP+ DAC's have worked great for me. The mellanox CX3 and the brocade don't really care too much about vendor id for the DAC.

bmill

Nov 22, 2021
AZ
Appreciate the response. OS will be Win10. I have read parts of the Brocade thread. There is a lot of information in there that I need to go through and I do plan to read it.
Interesting that you brought up connectx-3 ASI just found some good deals and will look for the Cisco cables.
Thanks so much!