Network switch with long support life

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jonobk

Feb 19, 2011
Winnipeg
Hello,

I'm looking to purchase a new main switch for my home. My current tplink (24-1g and 4sfp+ ports) hasn't had a firmware update in ages.

I've been looking at replacements from Netgear, Ubiquti, and Mikrotic. However, I'm having a hard time determining how long they will receive updates for.

Any suggestions on which companies and product lines get regular patches for a long time.

Thanks,
Jonathan

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
Mikrotik is pretty awesome at providing updates.
I can't find an exact policy or page that states how long to expect firmware updates, but really old devices like the RB230 (more than 10 years old) is still supported.

I also believe that the Ruckus/Brocade ICX switches that are also quite popular here receive updates for a long period of time, though I do not have any good examples of this.

You can probably get long firmware support on devices from the likes of Cisco and Juniper, but most (not all) require support subscriptions, which I assume is not what you want.

Reactions: jonobk

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Are we talking about full blown enterprise switches with redundant power supplies and specific cooling/environment requirements?
Just contact the vendor and get a support contract, if you need 10 years support you can get that (but it will cost you both arms and five legs :p)

My current tplink (24-1g and 4sfp+ ports) hasn't had a firmware update in ages.
T1700G-28TQ?
Are you missing features? Or why the "need" for updates?

Reactions: scline and jonobk

jonobk

Feb 19, 2011
Winnipeg
Mikrotik is pretty awesome at providing updates.
I can't find an exact policy or page that states how long to expect firmware updates, but really old devices like the RB230 (more than 10 years old) is still supported.

I also believe that the Ruckus/Brocade ICX switches that are also quite popular here receive updates for a long period of time, though I do not have any good examples of this.

You can probably get long firmware support on devices from the likes of Cisco and Juniper, but most (not all) require support subscriptions, which I assume is not what you want.
Mikrotik looks like a strong contender. Their pricing for new switches is fantastic, and as you mentioned it looks like they support stuff for a really long time. Their documentation states at least 5 years, which is better than tp-link and Ubiquiti from what I've experienced.

jonobk

Feb 19, 2011
Winnipeg
Are we talking about full blown enterprise switches with redundant power supplies and specific cooling/environment requirements?
Just contact the vendor and get a support contract, if you need 10 years support you can get that (but it will cost you both arms and five legs :p)

T1700G-28TQ?
Are you missing features? Or why the "need" for updates?
Yes, correct! The T1700g-28TQ is what I'm using, and it's been running just fine - no performance concerns.

Ideally, I'd like a switch that had poe so I don't need to use injectors for my few APs, and had 2.5Gb for new machines that support that. However, my main driver for looking is the lack of patching. I can't believe that they have no security vulnerabilities that have required patching in years. I try to keep the rest of my devices (computers, phones, etc.) running recent oses/firmware/patches. The thought that the device which all my traffic flows through is the least up-to-date device kinda scares me. Also, I tried to use a modern certificate for TLS, which was a non-starter.

jonobk

Feb 19, 2011
Winnipeg
Oh, the Brocade icx7250-24 with poe is looking pretty great. Although, with a full-time job and a young child I'm a little daunted about having to become a network engineer to get it working!

tubs-ffm

Sep 1, 2013
Oh, the Brocade icx7250-24 with poe is looking pretty great. Although, with a full-time job and a young child I'm a little daunted about having to become a network engineer to get it working!
Keep in mind the impact of the noise of the fans. Like most of the 1U rack devices these are not made to place in the living room or in an office. The smaller brother ICX 7150-24P can run in "silent mode" with fans switched of in case of only a little bit PoE power is used.

Reactions: jonobk

sic0048

Dec 24, 2018
Just get something used on EBay from one of the many, many recyclers. There are plenty of enterprise grade network switches that still have plenty of life left for a fraction of new. Will they last 10 years? I don't know. But at these prices you can buy one every few years and still spend less than buying a new switch with a long warranty/support life cycle.

tubs-ffm

Sep 1, 2013
And the 7150-C12P does not even have fans, and can be stacked to provide more ports (and are often available quite cheaply).
"cheaply"?
If you have a source, please let me know. I am looking on ebay since month and only can find expensive offers. A 7250-24P and a 7150-24P I got cheap a while ago..