Network switch recommendation for business poe must

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

alex1002

Apr 9, 2013
S3300's can stack. Also found out the Cisco SG350X's are really nice, but not sure what your price point is...
Are you referring to the netgear s3300. That was my original choice. But after reading lots of reviews and comments. I found out that they are very buggy and lots of problems. Is this correct?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
On the sg350x do you get the cisco iOS. Because it doesn't seem like "Enterprise" level switch more small business. Also how does stacking work. Does it use the 10gbe SFP+ ports.
Mind I only have the smaller brother but that does not seem to have a full fledged iOS version but a SMB variant. Nevertheless fully manageable via SSH. not sure what the downside is. Stacking can use any 10G interface (SFP+ or RJ45)

Are you referring to the netgear s3300. That was my original choice. But after reading lots of reviews and comments. I found out that they are very buggy and lots of problems. Is this correct?
Yes I meant that one. I have 2 of them in a stack and while I (twice) had some odd problem (usually b/c the config does not behave as expected with common sense) I cannot fault it too much. Its working stable when you don't meddle with it, has some good features but is more catered for home/small office.
Depending on secondary requirements (monitoring of dataflow, automation capability, integration into enterprise level processes) it might be a good choice or not.
Honestly if I could get my hands on two cheap cisco's I'd probably switch at this time although I have been quite happy with the 3300's before (read before I started looking at netflow;)
I can't comment on POE capability since I don't use it much (though both of mine have it), so you'll need to check total power capability if you attach a lot of devices (might need secondary psu's on the s3300's)

alex1002

Apr 9, 2013
I am in Canada and pricing is totally different. The brandnew Aruba switches will cost me less then used Cisco's. Not sure what to do. I was also looking at the Aruba with virtual stacking using the SFP+ instead of the ones that require the stacking modules and cables. The virtual stackers are way cheaper because the modules for stacking and cables plus uplink modules are very expensive. Another weird thing I have never seen before the Aruba doesnt include any power supply. You need to purchase min one separate.

vanfawx

Jan 4, 2015
Vancouver, Canada
Instead of stacking, why not look at a chassis switch? The HP 5406zl is a 4U switch that provides 6 line cards. Their gigabit line cards all support POE. I recently picked up a 5406zl with 6x24 port gigabit line cards with POE, and redundant power supplies for about $750 Canadian. You can also get SFP+ line cards quite inexpensively as well.

If the 5406zl isn't big enough, you can also look at the 5412zl which provides 12 line card slots.

I'm not sure if you are looking to get new gear, but I think this would be a good used option.

Last edited:
Reactions: alex1002

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
I also have several "renew" HP Procurve 5406/5412
Super stable, super cheap (look for HP renew or used), easy to manage and lifetime warranty

alex1002

Apr 9, 2013
Instead of stacking, why not look at a chassis switch? The HP 5406zl is a 4U switch that provides 6 line cards. Their gigabit line cards all support POE. I recently picked up a 5406zl with 6x24 port gigabit line cards with POE, and redundant power supplies for about $750 Canadian. You can also get SFP+ line cards quite inexpensively as well.

If the 5406zl isn't big enough, you can also look at the 5412zl which provides 12 line card slots.

I'm not sure if you are looking to get new gear, but I think this would be a good used option.
Where did you pickup your HP?

alex1002

Apr 9, 2013

Is there anyway to get 10gbe unplinks with these. How's the cli?

vanfawx

Jan 4, 2015
Vancouver, Canada
@alex1002 eBay.ca :) The units are cheap and plentiful. You can either buy a bare chassis and all the pieces you want, or find a package deal. I found a good package deal that had all the pieces I needed. You can get 144 POE ports in the 5406 and 288 in the 5412.

Here's one with the premium layer3 license, and 2x24 port gigabit line cards and power supplies.

I'll warn you though, these things are good for layer2 and *basic* layer3. HP improved the layer3 capabilities with the v2 chassis and line cards, but the cost is quite a bit higher.

Oh and to answer your second question, 10GbE is simple with these chassis. Here's a PDF with all the available line cards. The specific module you'd want for SFP+ is J9309A.

Hope that helps and sorry for all the edits!

Last edited:

alex1002

Apr 9, 2013
@alex1002 eBay.ca :) The units are cheap and plentiful. You can either buy a bare chassis and all the pieces you want, or find a package deal. I found a good package deal that had all the pieces I needed. You can get 144 POE ports in the 5406 and 288 in the 5412.

Here's one with the premium layer3 license, and 2x24 port gigabit line cards and power supplies.

I'll warn you though, these things are good for layer2 and *basic* layer3. HP improved the layer3 capabilities with the v2 chassis and line cards, but the cost is quite a bit higher.

Oh and to answer your second question, 10GbE is simple with these chassis. Here's a PDF with all the available line cards. The specific module you'd want for SFP+ is J9309A.

Hope that helps and sorry for all the edits!
Much appreciated. Is the difference between v1 and v2. Major?

vanfawx

Jan 4, 2015
Vancouver, Canada
From my understanding the v2 modules offer newer port types (10GBase-T), and they offer stronger layer3 capabilities and the ability to do policy based routing. I'm pretty sure you can use the v2 line cards in a v1 chassis, you just don't get the benefit of any of the newer features past the new port type.

ServerSemi

Jan 12, 2017
Another vote for hp 2920. Been running mine for a little more than a year with 8 poe cameras and never had any issues

alex1002

Apr 9, 2013
How much stacking bandwidth do you need?
20-40gbe. I don't think I'll ever saturate the switch. I am mainly concerned about the 10gbe uplinks to my 10gbe server switches.

maze

Apr 27, 2013
Then how about 20gbit Per switch stacking, and 20gbit Per switch uplink.. or just do individual switches with 20g Per 48 port uplink.. 10g optics/dacs Are dirt cheap these days..

Aruba 3810M switch with 16x 10g ports wont run you in that much.. and Can add 40g uplink ports to that

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
On the sg350x do you get the cisco iOS. Because it doesn't seem like "Enterprise" level switch more small business. Also how does stacking work. Does it use the 10gbe SFP+ ports.
Just for completeness sake - its not actually iOS, its
Textview CLI

Scriptable CLI. A full CLI as well as a menu CLI are supported.

alex1002

Apr 9, 2013
This is a very difficult decision for me. So many choices. By far the hp 54xx seems to be most affordable and cheapest available all over eBay.

alex1002

Apr 9, 2013
Does anyone know if the 5400zl are end of life. Or if hp still supports them?

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
HP bought H3C (3Com) some years ago.
Their own former Procurve enterprise switch line is since end of life.

But while H3C is more advanced in the premier switch ligue, Procurce is very stable with many features. Even today I partly buy Procurve as I own many and they offer features at a unique price. HP ends lifetime warranty with many of the upperclass H3C derived models. They offer lifetime warranty for original buyers prior 2014. So yes Procurve remains supported. As many firms switched from Procurce to Cisco or HP/H3C afterwards you can get the genuine HP Procurce series (renew or used) now for a bargain.

abour warranty of some HP switches
http://h20564.www2.hpe.com/portal/site/hpsc/public/kb/docDisplay/?docId=c04499781

Problem
HP restrict lifetime warranty to the initial buyer since 2014 so if you buy now renew/used this may not be the case. While I own some HP with lifetime warrany, I bought some without this lately at about 20% of the former price so I do not care about.

If you buy used/ renew the former lifetime warrany on hardware may not affect you on a failure but HP must keep support for Procurve and yes, there are current firmware updates for Procurve.

Last edited: