Network Setup Help

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I have 2 connections to the Internet, right now we'll call them Internet A and Internet B.

Internet A (pfsense router) is wired into the house, and has WiFi. This LAN supports TVs, Desktops, iPads, Security Cameras, Etc...
Internet B (pfsense router) is 100% WiFi only.

Both networks are utilizing Ubiquiti switches L2 and cameras.

I'm setting up a system where Internet B to have 2 very low power Atom systems, its own power source, as well as security cameras in addition to what Internet A\LAN A has.

I can of course use WiFi to get on that network when off A and view the cameras, however my goal would be to:
- NOT use Internet B unless on that WiFi
- Access Security Cameras & Servers on Lan B when I'm wired\connected to InternetA\LanA

What are my choices to make this work?

Other restrictions... IF doing wired connection between B and A it HAS to be Fiber for electrical safety\surge potential, however my pfsense appliance doesn't have SFP\SFP+ ports. If I add a device to LANB to connect to LANA via WiFi and bridge them, correct me if I'm wrong, I'd need my switch to support LAYER3 ?

Do I have any choices to convert the copper ETH port into Fiber or am I out of luck?

Any other suggestions \ opinions on this setup?

DavidWJohnston

Sep 30, 2020
I think all you need to do is add an interface (NIC) for LAN B in pfSense A, then add a static route for LAN A in pfSense B. This does require a free NIC on pfSense A. If there isn't one, you'll have to add it.

If A and B are the same IP range (ex. both 192.168.0.x) then this won't work.

To "convert the ETH port into fiber", use a media converter at each end. They don't use much power.

If this is for some type of out-of-band or SHTF high availability security setup, avoiding WiFi is best because it's so easy for an attacker to jam it and take out your cameras.