Network setup and gear help

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

iDurr

Jan 23, 2021
Hi all!

I'm looking to get rid of my current AIO and go with a more managed approach to the home network. Here is what I'm thinking of doing:

NetworkSetup.png

I have three questions for the parts list:
  1. While the Intel I350T4V2 NIC looks great, is it overkill for what I'm wanting to do? I want to make sure there aren't any bottlenecks in the setup and this looks like a high-quality NIC. I would also like the option of expanding into 10Gb in the future, is this the right NIC for this?
  2. I want a managed switch for VLANs but don't know which one to go with. I think a 12-port switch would be great, what would you recommend? I've looked at used Dell Powerconnect 2816's on ebay for around $50, is that a good option?
  3. While I've listed the Ubiquiti AP for my wireless devices, is the UAP-LR the best option for a large single-family home? or would the Lite be a better option?
Thank you all in advance for the replies!

Tom5051

Jan 18, 2017
10G seems over kill unless you have a file server that is not listed, you one need a 2 port nic for Pfsense, something like an Intel pro 1000PT. Don't waste time on LACP in the home, it won't go any faster than 1G.
Most managed switches do VLANs
more APs are better spread around the home than a single one which may or may not give a good signal in all areas. Remember most phones etc do not have 4x4 antenna, more like 2x2 so you will never get the speeds they advertise on the AP box.

iDurr

Jan 23, 2021
10G seems over kill unless you have a file server that is not listed, you one need a 2 port nic for Pfsense, something like an Intel pro 1000PT. Don't waste time on LACP in the home, it won't go any faster than 1G.
Most managed switches do VLANs
more APs are better spread around the home than a single one which may or may not give a good signal in all areas. Remember most phones etc do not have 4x4 antenna, more like 2x2 so you will never get the speeds they advertise on the AP box.
Thank you for the reply! Is the NIC that I have listed (Intel I350-T4) overkill? If so the Intel Pro 1000PT looks great! Also, if I wanted to have a fileserver in the setup, would the 1000PT still be a good NIC or would the I350-T4 be a better option?