Network OS - ok if I don't want to tinker?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
So still looking for new high speed switches and saw that many of those nowadays come with a NOS like Cumulus or Sonic.

Since I have no clue of those I wondered whether they are ok to use without in depth networking knowledge?

I have some Cisco Small Business switches and some Mellanox OS ones, so not a total stranger.

But I am not really interested in having another place I constantly need to work on, especially if its a core network switch (for my home office/lab) which might disrupt everything running in the vincinity.

So basically I am looking for feedback on those, any that are exceptionally good, not to be recommended, freely available (Sonic?) etc...
Thanks

fsteresa

Oct 18, 2016
Birmingham
The code used to create Cumulus Linux is free and available to the public to view, edit and for users with the appropriate skill to contribute to. I was able to get a switch but not being able to get a licence for home use, this has made me rely on just the base functionality. Admittedly, I am running a bit much for a home lab (gentoo/openstack dev and openstack env).

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
So which functionality are you able to use based on the public cumulus code - and which not?