Network OS - ok if I don't want to tinker?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Rand__, Dec 26, 2018.

1. Rand__

Rand__ Well-Known Member

So still looking for new high speed switches and saw that many of those nowadays come with a NOS like Cumulus or Sonic.

Since I have no clue of those I wondered whether they are ok to use without in depth networking knowledge?

I have some Cisco Small Business switches and some Mellanox OS ones, so not a total stranger.

But I am not really interested in having another place I constantly need to work on, especially if its a core network switch (for my home office/lab) which might disrupt everything running in the vincinity.

So basically I am looking for feedback on those, any that are exceptionally good, not to be recommended, freely available (Sonic?) etc...
    Thanks

2. fsteresa

fsteresa New Member

The code used to create Cumulus Linux is free and available to the public to view, edit and for users with the appropriate skill to contribute to. I was able to get a switch but not being able to get a licence for home use, this has made me rely on just the base functionality. Admittedly, I am running a bit much for a home lab (gentoo/openstack dev and openstack env).

3. Rand__

Rand__ Well-Known Member

So which functionality are you able to use based on the public cumulus code - and which not?