Network booting help: Installing and Booting Windows to FreeNAS Corral iSCSI

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cliffr

Apr 2, 2017
I'm going crazy and my google searching is not helping.

Here's what I did - I set NICs to boot iSCSI. The Intel NIC I then went to the iSCSI boot configuration utility. I selected my NIC.

Add a name for initiator. I then put in the target name, IP and LUN for FreeNAS Corral.

Set the primary NIC. I then mount the CD and reboot.

It goes though the initialization, and it spits out all the right information. Down to:

LUN: 0 DEVICE: FreeNAS SCSI Disk 240.0GB

So it's finding the iSCSI target fine.

Here's my issue, when I boot Windows Server 2016, Proxmox 5.0 and others, there's no option to install to that 240GB iSCSI LUN.

Shouldn't it be hooked up?

If anyone has a guide I feel like I'm 1-2 steps from gold here but I can't find anything.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@cliffr I actually need to network boot a WS2012 R2 machine to snapshot storage so I tried this on a FreeNAS Corral system with today's daily.

No luck either.

I did manage to mount the iSCSI share via the Windows iSCSI initiator so that is what I am going to work on tomorrow.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Hey @cliffr

Just as an update for you. Here is where I am at.

upload_2017-4-9_10-36-51.png

1) Made FreeNAS iSCSI Share
2) Windows 10 workstation iSCSI initiator -> FreeNAS iSCSI target
3) Offline iSCSI disk in Windows 10
4) Fire up Hyper-V in Windows 10.
5) IDE 0 attach physical hard disk (my 100GB iSCSI LUN) - note if you put it on the SCSI controller Windows will not install.
6) Boot to Hyper-V Server 2016 ISO and install.

The above is getting me from Windows cannot use the disk to installing an OS. The next step will be finishing the installation. Disconnect the LUN from Windows 10 and seeing if it will boot via Intel iSCSI adapter.

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Update #3 install worked, booting over the passed-through iSCSI LUN upload_2017-4-9_10-38-8.png in Hyper-V