Netgear MS510TX Owners/Users - Opinions ?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Allan74

May 15, 2019
For roughly $360 CAD, this switch seems to have the ability (on paper anyway) to help me get the most out of existing and new incoming hardware without going to an exclusive 10Gbe setup.

Netgear MS510TX - 9 Port copper + 1 SFP+. Smart Managed Pro Series.
4x 1Gb, 2x 2.5Gb, 2x 5Gb, 1x 10Gb copper, 1x SFP+

In my small Home Network, this would make for a great backbone to start my 1Gb+ baby-step upgrade.

Could current owners or users of this switch offer any praise or remorse for even buying this unit ?

My choices in this price range are simply this switch or the Mikrotik 4 or 5 port Gb/SFP+ switch.

I have recently added new hardware/systems that have 2.5Gb onboard and want to put my media server on a 10Gb connection along with my main workstation, leaving my a few 1Gb ports to waste on router input, Access Point etc.

Considering my 10Gb runs will be the shortest in the network (under 20ft), it seems that for me anyway, Copper might just be a decent solution and allow me to take advantage of new onboard nics on new boards etc greater then 1Gb without re-NICing everything.

Thoughts on this unit ?
https://www.amazon.ca/Netgear-Multi-Gigabit-Ethernet-Lifetime-Technical/dp/B075Q6NPM2

zack$

Aug 16, 2018
Picked up one of these last year with the intention of preparing for wifi 6. However, am currently using it for the occasional 1gb connections to my 10gb network (while still waiting for wifi 6 to pick up).

It works fine, is quiet and haven't had any issues so far. I can get line rate 10gb through iperf on the 10g sfp+ port to a mikrotik crs-317.

Only think is, if I didn't care about implementing wifi 6, I probably would not have bought it. With US$269, you can get a switch that can do a whole lot more than this netgear: https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...s-cheap-powerful-10gbe-40gbe-switching.21107/

Anyways, if your looking at wifi 6, would suggest you look at the MS510TXPP as the PoE on multigig will be nice on multigig AP (PoE injection could be non-existent otherwise at the moment).

Allan74

May 15, 2019
I really only need to immediately connect about a half a dozen PCs and Devices along with a single Media Server and sadly, the onboard network capabilities of the new gear recently added will end up dictating what I pickup, as I don't need anymore than a couple 10Gbe links and anything larger than a 16port would be a waste. As far as new hardware on the network, I just want to take advantage of the cheap 2.5Gbe onboard NICs on a few of the PCs and don't want the complexity of running multiple SFP+ ports then either having to convert to copper or re-Nic machines for fiber.