Netgear GS110EMX Review A Managed GS110MX Switch

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
I've had this switch for about a year and it really is rock solid (Netgear usually is).

One note: it does not have SNMP monitoring. This is useless to 99% of users, but as an Edge device in a managed network it is really important to be able to monitor centrally. Most of the other web managed switches in in the "GS..." line DO have SNMP (e.g., GS110TP PoE Gigabit switch, GS108T 8 port Gigabit, etc). These other switches also appear to run the same web management software stack - user-less password security and lack of https and all. Makes no sense why they chose to drop a feature that is obviously already in their software stack for this product family.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I totally agree. We have another Netgear unit in the lab. All of this no user-less plus "password", no HTTPS, and such is shocking in 2020.

randman

May 3, 2020
I bought the Netgear MS510TX multi-gigabit switch (the "funky" switch) as well as the Netgear GS110EMX switch. I was interested in the GS110EMX switch since it is fanless and I plan on using it in a bedroom, and since it has 10 RJ45 ports (1 more than the MS510TX) and I didn't need an SFP+ port in the bedroom. Well, the GS110EMX software isn't as good as the MS510TX. For example: I should've read above post earlier, since I just realized it doesn't support SNMP (I have an NMS for monitoring all my devices). The GS110EMX doesn't have other features that the MS510TX has such as settings for SNTP, DNS, routing, less energy saving features, etc. Turns out that the Netgear MS510TX is quiet, even though it has a fan. So, I decided to return the GS110EMX and get a 2nd MS510TX.