Netgate removed all mention of pfSense from their website + Major Regressions in pfSense 2.5 and newer

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Layla

Game Engine Developer
Jun 21, 2016
They still claim to be open-source, but I can't find any normal pfSense (as opposed to pfSense+) links, support, downloads, source code, etc.

Anyone have any information about this? They seem to really have turned to the dark-side?

Reactions: Brian Puccio

Layla

Game Engine Developer
Jun 21, 2016
For reference, I posted on this issue 23 days ago, and there's literally been zero feedback on it, and their GitLab link is dead. It just seems like they do not support or care about the open source version anymore (and moreover, if you can't access the source code, it's open source anymore, is it)?

jjacobs

Dec 25, 2020
CO
pfsense 2.5.1 is still downloadable. Download pfSense Community Edition

The front page still contains this: " ... worlds most trusted open source network security solution".

There's this also: pfsense

That said, I gave up on pfsense a while back. Too much drama. I was willing to give them a pass on the OPNsense website thing but the Wireguard mess is too much to overlook. I don't trust them as far as I could throw them. VyOS currently makes me happy.

Last edited:

StevenDTX

Aug 17, 2016
Im trying to switch from pfSense to OPNsense, but I get terrible VPN performance. I have tried WireGuard and OpenVPN.

Layla

Game Engine Developer
Jun 21, 2016
I get terrible OpenVPN performance on pfSense - does it work well anywhere? I had to setup IPsec to get multiple-gigabit VPN performance.

StevenDTX

Aug 17, 2016
I get terrible OpenVPN performance on pfSense - does it work well anywhere? I had to setup IPsec to get multiple-gigabit VPN performance.
I get 160Mb/s on pfSense as an OpenVPN client. The same config (and VPN server) on OPNsense I cant break 10Mb/s.

Layla

Game Engine Developer
Jun 21, 2016
Both of those numbers sound absolutely terrible to me - but clearly one is an order of magnitude worse. Is AES-NI not working properly?

Reactions: tinfoil3d

Fallen Kell

Mar 10, 2020
Yeah, I am starting to get worried about pfsense. The latest information seems to be that the opensource version is essentially dead at this point as they are not planning on releasing the re-work that they have been doing for months/years on many items that seem to be performance related. And with wireguard kernel implementation getting yanked from the FreeBSD due to poor implementation, I just don't see a real future as it currently stands with pfsense.

Need to start looking at alternatives. Glad I decided to effectively build my own system instead of purchasing a Netgate, as I have a lot more flexibility as to what OS runs the on my edge router/firewall.

Vesalius

Nov 25, 2019

edge

Apr 22, 2013
I ran pfsense in a vm for 8 months and just gave up on it.Too many weird issues where it stopped resolving some dns names or would require retries. The wire guard issue in FBSD put a stake in it.

Reactions: TXAG26 and Layla

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
Same here, done with pfsense. Absolutely no trust in that platform after the latest wireguard shenanigans. Thank goodness someone wasn't asleep at the wheel at FreeBSD, but it makes me wonder if stuff has previously slipped through? Who knows, either way, those occurrences would make it hard to sleep well at night given the doubt it created for me at least. Moving on and I wish them the best at getting a handle on everything and coming out the other side stronger and more committed to their end-users as a company.

With FreeNAS and now pfsense moving towards linux, I wonder if FreeBSD will continue to be able to hang on?

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
They still claim to be open-source, but I can't find any normal pfSense (as opposed to pfSense+) links, support, downloads, source code, etc.
Which site are you using?

Download:
Getting started/Documentation:
Support:
Source:

sth

Oct 29, 2015
Thank goodness someone wasn't asleep at the wheel at FreeBSD, but it makes me wonder if stuff has previously slipped through?
I think that’s the issue, FreeBSD were asleep at the wheel and pulled the shitty code into their kernel. It was only caught at the last moment.

This shambles of a development experience undermines FreeBSDs processes. OpnSense is no better alternative being based on the same kernel.
Luckily there is VyOS.

Reactions: Vesalius

jjacobs

Dec 25, 2020
CO
Netgate's website. Netgate.com
It is telling that Netgate.com has removed all references to the open source version. Especially given both of their products are closed source derivatives of open source projects. It's one thing to make money from support and services another to bundle up open source with superficial additions and charge for it. That said, pfsense plus has been promised free (as in beer, not as in freedom) for home lab use.

I interpret Netgate's attitude as a big middle finger at the projects they built the company on. Just my opinion.

Edited to add: the OP noted the overt turn away from open source that Netgate has taken. I think this is a valid and valuable point.

Netgate can say whatever they say but their actions say they *have* turned their back on the open source projects they depend on. Scott Long who is now a Netgate employee showed his position by turning the volume of the drama to 11 when he went off on a childish rant after Netgates wireguard mistake was very publicly evident. JIm Thompson has always been an open book. That book is the worst kind of pulp. Netgate is shooting itself in the foot. I for one don't want to get any of that splashed on me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Layla

jjacobs

Dec 25, 2020
CO
I think that’s the issue, FreeBSD were asleep at the wheel and pulled the shitty code into their kernel. It was only caught at the last moment.

This shambles of a development experience undermines FreeBSDs processes. OpnSense is no better alternative being based on the same kernel.
Luckily there is VyOS.
OPNsense is once removed from FBSD. HardenedBSD is directly upstream.

---

Overview of the Netgate saga. The comments are as interesting as the story.

Edited to add:

I agree that VyOS is a valid alternative to the *sense's. I'd be pleased to see it get more attention here on STH, both on the front page and in the forum.

Last edited:

Vesalius

Nov 25, 2019
OPNsense is once removed from FBSD. HardenedBSD is directly upstream.

---

Overview of the Netgate saga. The comments are as interesting as the story.

Edited to add:

I agree that VyOS is a valid alternative to the *sense's. I'd be pleased to see it get more attention here on STH, both on the front page and in the forum.
OPNsense just announced they will no longer use HardenedBSD in the future and will go with FreeBSD. First release without hardenedbsd planned for 2022

OPNsense and HardenedBSD are parting ways

I am currently running vyos in a vm and would like to make the switch, but not yet sure on some of the cli setup for multiwan, and such. slowly getting better as time permits. vyos or danos are my goal though to move away from the *senses.

jjacobs

Dec 25, 2020
CO
OPNsense just announced they will no longer use HardenedBSD in the future and will go with FreeBSD. First release without hardenedbsd planned for 2022

OPNsense and HardenedBSD are parting ways

I am currently running vyos in a vm and would like to make the switch, but not yet sure on some of the cli setup for multiwan, and such. slowly getting better as time permits. vyos or danos are my goal though to move away from the *senses.

Interesting, I didn't know OPNsense had made that announcement. Thank you, good to know.

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
i think I'm limited to one of the *sense since i am using wpa_supplicant for ATT Router replacement. Currently I am on PFSense 2.4 and using it as head FW, for my home network, i pass a static ip down to Sophos UTM and use it for additional protection. PFsense only acts as a router for ATT and internet access for my IOT devices where i dont want to block them from rules i run in Sophos and dont want them knowing about rest of the network. for VPN im using Sophos SSL vpn, since i only need it for few occasions im out of the house and want to check on network etc.

I did not see Vyos supporting wpa_supplicant, at lease from googling.