NetApp Flash Cache

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Just ran across this -

"
Once you install it in a compatible NetApp controller, it will show up as cache memory rather than permanent storage.

The card is not compatible with Windows or other operating systems besides Data ONTAP/ONTAP, nor can be used outside of a FAS controller."

tozmo

Feb 1, 2017
Just ran across this -

"
Once you install it in a compatible NetApp controller, it will show up as cache memory rather than permanent storage.

The card is not compatible with Windows or other operating systems besides Data ONTAP/ONTAP, nor can be used outside of a FAS controller."

Really, the brilliant minds here can't figure it out?

Reactions: Samir

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
Just ran across this -

"

Unfortunately, This seems accurate:
  • Q: What happens if I put a FlashCache (PAM II 512GB) card into a PC?
    [*]A: Nothing. Linux detects the PCI vendor ID as NetApp, but then doesn’t assign a class, and just says product ID of 774c.
and here:

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Just search for "nvram" on ebay and you will see many similar devices: most of them are pcie but don't support nvme (or ahci with drivers).

Edit: it's actually "nvram pcie"

nutsnax

Nov 6, 2014
Looks like there is some kind of ONTAP vmware appliance around with instruction on how to install.

My PCI Passthrough idea might work....

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
(Insert I'll-allow-it Mexican.gif)

Jokes aside, there will be better devices. That's why sometimes nobody bothers. If I were to get one of those, I want firmware updates. With NetApp, possible, if you know how to dissect the right ISO file. And are daring enough to use one of those sg_ utilities. I want to be able to buy replacements later. But supply of these might dry out - big no. No drivers? To me big no, because there are better devices then. Like Oracle F320 (only buy with last firmware) if you want flash to hammer on it. Octane, if it has to be really really fast like a database file. Or ZFS SLOG. I'd rather buy those than try and hack an NVME or AHCI emulation layer for the operating system. For weeks. For a device nobody has. Just know what you get yourself into? Let us know.

aij

May 7, 2017
Really, the brilliant minds here can't figure it out?
The brilliant minds here have better things to do than reverse engineer a proprietary piece of hardware they don't even have. :p

Though there's probably a few folks you could nerd snipe by sending them some cards to play with / use.