Netapp DS4243 Disk Array Shelf @ $90 shipped

Discussion in 'Great Deals' started by Dark, Mar 11, 2019.

1. NaCl

NaCl New Member

There are a number of listings on eBay for new WD100EMAZ drives. These are what I pulled out of my BB acquisitions. The general range is $195-$200, which matches the BB Easystore deal of last week/week before. Still better than $329+ for the red label variant, but slightly less swell if you care about the extra bits (enclosure/supply/usb-sata iface board and the 32GB flash stick). Personally, that stuff isn't worth it. Shucking 4-5 drives here and there isn't so bad. Shucking 30+ drives after hooking them all up and waiting through some form of surface scan/test sucks.

It'll only be compounded if the backplanes in these NetApp shelves supply that pin.

Anyway, should get mine Wednesday. So I'll see then regardless.

2. Sleyk

Sleyk Active Member

Yeah. I'm still crying on the $160-$170 sales I heard about from before with the 32gb flash drive. I tried messaging a few sellers of those EMAZ/EZAZ drives on ebay with a best offer and they wouldnt budge below $195. They must be trying to pawn off some of these self same shucked easystores ;)

I also read somewhere, think on Reddit that those netapp enclosure work fine with the easystores. Im not 100% positive, but i think they said they dont have the 3.3v issue.

3. NaCl

NaCl New Member

Could be. Some mention they were pulls while others say they're brand new OEM drives.

Can confirm they work swimmingly. Finally got familial duties taken care of and was able to fire up my DS4246 w/a few shucked EMAZ drives. No issues at all.

4. Sleyk

Sleyk Active Member

5. RicBorg

RicBorg New Member

I scored a DS4243 with drives from Ebay but now need a Mini SAS to QSFC to connect it to my P822 card, does anyone knows if i only need one cable or need two for both IOMs ?

6. gregsachs

gregsachs Active Member

One cable will work. The two ports on the back of each IOM are not the same, you want the top IOM, and the inner connector
    Netapp Disk Shelf Cabling Examples

7. DanielWood

DanielWood Member

Well, that's good to know. I've been using the top IOM and the outside connector. I'll need to recable things on Monday.

8. gregsachs

gregsachs Active Member

If it works, i'd leave it...

9. Sleyk

Sleyk Active Member

Haven't seen anyone ask, How loud are these things?

Thinking about snagging a ds4246 and a pair of controllers, but just got my living room somewhat quiet. Don't wanna make it noisy again.

10. Bert

Bert Member

I got 3 of netapp ds4246, probably 2 more than I need but they came as a package deal. I got one of them hooked up to my windows pc via QFSP-mini sas cable and it worked perfectly fine. I plan to get ReFS with Storage Spaces mirroring to store my archives there. While I am filling in the shelves with drives and loading up data, I plan to use other two to experiment for an alternative solution. In both cases, the goal is archival storage where disks will be stopped.

I have a few questions:
    - HBA X2065A-R6 SAS seems like a legit option since finding a QFSP to mini-sas cable is not easy. Are there any other benefits?
    - I am hoping that I will get 12Gb support from these disk shelves when I upgrade the hba and IOM. 6Gbs could be a bottleneck for 24 modern SAS drives. Is the upgrade path open?
    - Any cheap options for mounting them to the rack cabinet? Current going price for original rack kits are $50 but I think any ordinary L bracket style may be a good fit. I don't have experience about racking so not sure what to do here.
    - Do we know if there any size limits on the drives? Can it support 4TB or higher capacity drives.
    - Is there any benefit of having a second IOM for one of these shelves? IIUC, they meant to be used by netapp appliance for redundancy purposes but I am not sure if it can be also used for increasing throughput by enabling a second bus.

Thanks for the help.

11. NaCl

NaCl New Member

Uncertain what your bar for 'not easy' wrt locating is, but I consider its presence on Amazon to be pretty easy to find. I use these -> (Mini SAS HD 8644) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MCYWM98 (MiniSAS 8088)https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AAHQJB2 w/out issue.

They are pretty proud of them, unfortunately.

The bigger concern is the backplane. There have been mixed results, even when using the 'anointed' revision, for 6Gbps upgrade (IOM6) in the DS4243 units. I wouldn't 'hold my breath' as it were.

These L brackets are what I went with and are working just fine. (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C4TDHNG) )note that there are 3 sets for that $80.

Straight-up SAS, no empirical data. However, I _am_ using mine w/WD100EMAZ and it works very well. These are, ostensibly, the white label 10TB red drives. I {c,p}ulled them from EasyStore enclosures. The 3.3v sata power mod is not required when used in these enclosures btw/fyi.

As another data point, I have also used these same drives w/the SAS interposers w/out issue.

Not outside of a multi-path application which IIRC/AIUI, requires SAS either natively or SATA -> SAS via the interposers.

Bert likes this.
  12. Bert

Bert Member

Thanks a lot for the great pointers. I was scared about some of the L brackets as some of the cheap ones broke off under the weight of these shelves. I will get the ones you pointed.

I can find sf8088 cables all around in recyclers hence this particular cable is less easy to find on the cheap side.

I want to use multipath as long as it provides extra bandwidth. I use windows server and sas drives and both support multipath. I checkout the documentation but couldnt figure out what the benefits of multipath are.

Getting in data in and out from this thing would be painful.At 3 Gbs speeds, taking 240TB out would 1M seconds, 11.5 days!

13. BeTeP

BeTeP Active Member

It's 3Gbps per lane. There are 4 lanes in the connector. So even in the worst case you get 12Gbps from HBA to the SAS expander chip in the IOM.

14. Bert

Bert Member

Are we certain that this is supposed to work? I replaced the IOM6 controller on a DS4243 but the unit didn't come online (disk ready lights didn't get on).

15. DanielWood

DanielWood Member

IOM6 is already 6Gbps, so all you gain with the Dell controller is SFF-8088 connectors.

As for it working, make sure you dont mix and match any controllers(Full power cycle is needed, BTW). Also, if you are using single-path SATA drives without the SAS interposers, you can only use one controller anyways. Top controller seems to be the "prime" controller.

Bert likes this.
  16. Bert

Bert Member

Yes I want to work around the cabling problem. I also have a few Xyratex 1235 and more controllers so if I can get that work, it would be easier for me daisy chain them or try multipath.

I do have SAS interposers and same drives works fine on Xyratex 1235 and the same controller. I tried again with the hard reboot but no avail. The unit does not come online, drives do not power up (I can see the power usage being low). To be precise, this is the compellent controller I am using:

cfd3894f-1da2-400c-9110-bda8268c2b9e-1-6151a8a38fe47e257a53b850a946c21f

I noticed that this controller has 3 ports but IOM6 has only 2 ports. I am curious if there is a mismatch here, perhaps same DS4243 don't work with the compellent controllers. Is this the correct controller we are referring?

Btw, DS4243 seems like much better enclosure than Xyratex 1235 if you can find it, especially local to avoid the shipping charges. As far as I see:

1. DS4243 is much quieter. I turned on 2 of the fans on DS4243 by attaching only two of the power supplies to keep the power usage low and it is perfectly chugging along with low fan rpm. Xyratex 1235 running at elevated RPMs even when I connected both power supplies.
    2. DS4343 consumes only slightly more power, around 10-15 watts, at idle while it supports twice more disk. That is probably due to the fact that but units run the same number of power supplies.
    3. Xyratex 1235 beeps if you don't plugin all the power supplies and I was not able to permanently suppress it. DS4243 is perfectly happy with single power supply being connected.

I wish I can get the Xyratex controller working so I don't have to get those expensive cables and probably daisy them with different units.