Netapp DS2246 & LSI 3008 IT Mode Issues in Windows 10 for Workstations

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

pixelBit

Jul 16, 2019
Well, I tried installing TrueNas 12 (FreeNas) on a Hyper-V VM while passing through the lenovo 2225 (LIS 3008e) to the VM and it works in TrueNs. So it is definitively an OS or Windows Driver related issue. So I guess this configuration in Server 2016 is out! Curious if it works in Server 2019.
I have this exact issue with Server 2019 Build 1809 (17763.737). I'm using an 9400-8i alongside a RES3FV288 with IOM6 modules on a NetApp DS4246. LSA in Windows shows all of the disk, but they will not show up in device manager. Latest firmware and drivers as of today.

FooLKiller

May 2, 2017
I just had this adventure. When looking at the rear of the DS4246, use the left side SAS connections. The right ones will work for SAS, but not SATA as they are not electrically connected. Looking at the rear of my unit, I have it plugged into the right SAS connector, on the left SAS controller unit.

Reactions: dawsonkm

MPServers

Feb 4, 2024
I've been struggling with getting my new (to me) DS4246 shelf, a 9300-8e, and Windows Server 2022 (on a Dell R730) all talking to each other. They all work great in Ubuntu, TrueNAS, and Proxmox. No issues, they can all see all 24 drives. I can even daisy chain to a DS2246 and it sees those 24 drives as well.

The problem is the blasted Windows support. Windows has the driver just fine for the 9300-8e. It sees it, I can query it with sas3flash, and I even updated the IT firmware on it from 10 to 16. But it will not see any drives at all. In the Windows event log it throws an error (presumably one error for each drive, plus maybe one for the entire enclosure) saying:
\Device\RaidPort0 Enclosure not found (ContinueIDReadsForPhyEvents)

What I'm getting from that is that Windows, for whatever nutty reason, just doesn't like that combo of the SAS3008 and the netapp drive shelves. The fact that it works great in any other OS is comforting because I know it works in general, but I was really hoping to do some things with Windows.

I may just "downgrade" myself to something like a 9200 model controller (9207-8e I think?). I mean, the shelves are IOM6 so I'm not really going to be pushing too much through it. For now it's just something for me to tinker with.

One "solution" I did try earlier was to use Proxmox on it, create some mega RAIDz2 pools on there and then install Windows Server as a VM. So, I mean, I could just do that if I wanted to have the large drives and Windows. Right now I'm reinstalling TrueNAS on there for some further fussing and tomorrow I'll decide if I'm happy with some Linux flavor in there with a sprinkling of Windows on the side, or if I just spring for a different card (and different cable as well since the 9300 uses different connectors). Even then, how could I be sure that Windows isn't also going to ignore it with those cards as well? Honestly, I just don't get what the deal is with Windows... you'd think it would just work, but no... So close, but so far.