NetApp 4486 for ~$280 shipped

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
I know little about a NetApp Filer. How does the shelf/controller connect to the network? How would it connect to a VM Host? Is the connection 10G?

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
If I understood correctly, these are 100% sata-only, due to how the caddies connect two drives using a single sas connector to the backplane.
I wonder if there's any chance one could mod the caddies to mount a single sas drive in the rear position while connecting it directly into the backplane instead of through the interposer. This would be a destructive mod, which would lose the ability to use dual drives per caddy, but it will open up this shelf to SAS drives...
It does not make any sense to mod DS4486. If you want 24 drives - just get DS4243 for $100 less.

int0x2e

Dec 9, 2015
It does not make any sense to mod DS4486. If you want 24 drives - just get DS4243 for $100 less.
I'm afraid I'm not based in the US, and this specific listing is actually much cheaper than a DS4243/DS4246 after shipping for me...
Also, this mod could (in theory) let one use one shelf for a combinatiom combination of sas and sata drives, which might be valuable for some?

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
I know little about a NetApp Filer. How does the shelf/controller connect to the network? How would it connect to a VM Host? Is the connection 10G?
Do I need a FAS controller (i.e. FAS8020) in order for the shelves to work? If yes how many and what model number?

Last edited:

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
So I have a 4U SuperMicro chassis running Windows Server 2012 and Storage Spaces and a 3U Supermicro chassis running FreeNAS. I just debating whether or not to consolidate and use of these NetApp shelves and connect directly to a Dell R420 Server running Windows Server 2019 and another Dell R420 Server running FreeNAS.

Please advise.

tjk

Mar 3, 2013
I posted this earlier, be warned on these units...if a drive fails you have to take the jbod out of production and pull 2 drives to replace the one bad drive, you cannot do this while it is running since you will always be taking 2 drives out of production when you pull the drive sled.

If you are using these for anything outside of a home lab or testing, it would be better to find a top loading 60 bay unit so you can swap 1 drive at a time.

Reactions: altmind

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
I posted this earlier, be warned on these units...if a drive fails you have to take the jbod out of production and pull 2 drives to replace the one bad drive, you cannot do this while it is running since you will always be taking 2 drives out of production when you pull the drive sled.

If you are using these for anything outside of a home lab or testing, it would be better to find a top loading 60 bay unit so you can swap 1 drive at a time.
What is the model number of the 60 bay unit?

Frank Ong

Jan 29, 2017
If I understood correctly, these are 100% sata-only, due to how the caddies connect two drives using a single sas connector to the backplane.
I wonder if there's any chance one could mod the caddies to mount a single sas drive in the rear position while connecting it directly into the backplane instead of through the interposer. This would be a destructive mod, which would lose the ability to use dual drives per caddy, but it will open up this shelf to SAS drives...
Would read this thread.
I will send package of Oreos to whoever solves my problem. Dealers choice on which flavor as long as Walmart sells it. : storage

Loto_Bak

Mar 10, 2011
Just got a couple of these units finally.
My unit has 2 IOM6's with 4 PSUs

Unit all 4 PSU I get;
4.2 amps at initial startup
3.2 amps mid startup
1.4 amps idle
1.0 amps with only 1 PSU enabled

Noise is very acceptable IMO.

Let me know if you guys have any questions I can awnser

Reactions: Bert

Ryan Weng Ye Kan

Apr 23, 2020
Just got a couple of these units finally.
My unit has 2 IOM6's with 4 PSUs

Unit all 4 PSU I get;
4.2 amps at initial startup
3.2 amps mid startup
1.4 amps idle
1.0 amps with only 1 PSU enabled

Noise is very acceptable IMO.

Let me know if you guys have any questions I can awnser
Hi Loto Bak,

Are they louder with 2 PSU or 4 PSU? Or mostly the same?

Loto_Bak

Mar 10, 2011
Hi Loto Bak,

Are they louder with 2 PSU or 4 PSU? Or mostly the same?
I didn't pull PSU's out when testing, just ran them unplugged.
All fans on them run regardless if they are powered directly or not.

I would say noise was the same with 2 or 4 PSUs powered.

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
My DS4246 draws around 100 watt without disks and super quiet when I connected only one power supply and IOM
Super Quiet? - can you somehow quantify that? Super Quiet is relative to the environment :) If you have a Boeing 747 running its engine next to it, everything is super quiet :)

Can you make a decibel measurement or give a comparison to household equipment.

I.e. is it super quiet as a laptop idling? super quiet as a xx?

See: https://ehs.yale.edu/sites/default/files/files/decibel-level-chart.pdf

Thanks