Need to upgrade/expand my homelab. Please advice.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

FREAKJAM

Nov 11, 2013
Netherlands
Been running the following build for 3,5 years now:

CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 V3 Boxed
MOBO Supermicro X10SL7-F (comes with LSI2308 HBA, running in IT-mode)
HDD WD Red SATA 6 Gb/s WD30EFRX, 3TB (6x)
CASE BitFenix Shadow
RAM Kingston ValueRAM KVR16E11K4/32 (32GB)
PSU Seasonic G-Serie 360Watt
SSD Crucial 2.5" M500 240GB (ESXi datastore)
CABLES Sharkoon SATA III standard (50cm) (7x)
CABLES BitFenix Adapter (Molex to 4x SATA) (2x)
USB ESXi boot

Running quite a few VM's in ESXi 6.5 at the moment, mostly CentOS linux. The LSI2308 HBA is running in IT mode, so I am able to passthrough to a CentOS 7 linux VM, running ZFS (6x3TB RAIDZ2). ZFS pool is currently 91% in use, thus reasons to expand my storage and re-do my setup.
  • pfSense (DHCP, DNS & NAT, Internet routing, my cable isp modem is running in bridge mode)
  • Centos 7 VM1: ZFS + Samba (RAIDZ2)
  • CentOS 7 VM2: Plex Media server (Plexmediaserverdata and media both hosted on ZFS). Also running Emby on the very same server if Plex is failing me for whatever reason.
  • Centos 7 VM3: Few applications
  • Centos 7 VM4: MySQL and a few other minor things
What I plan on doing:
  • Ditch ESXi and migrate to either bare-metal linux with Docker + ZFS or FreeNAS Corral (released today!)
  • Ditch pfSense. UniFi® Security Gateway Pro 4 is ready to use.
  • Migrate cpu/mobo/ram to a new case. This case looks quite interesting.
  • Buy 6 new sata-drives and expand my zfs pool (add 2nd raidz2 vdev to existing pool).
    Not sure yet what drives to buy (either 6tb or maybe even 8tb disks).
  • Buy a few new SSD's. Planning on setting up a mirrored OS-drive as well for the container/vm storage.
  • Buy a new PSU. More drives = more watts needed.
What I'm asking:
  • Is it wise to keep my current hardware and expand my storage by adding a 2nd vdev?
  • I have no clue how to connect all the drives (the sata ones) in the mentioned 3u case. What cables do I need? The case has 4 mini-sas connectors (SFF-8087). Would I need a SAS Expander? (RES2SV240)
  • I'm open for suggestions too!

Last edited:

K D

Dec 24, 2016
I moved to an all Unifi setup a few months ago. The USG has several limitations compared to their edgemax series. But for a simple setup it is very easy to use and very stable.

If you are currently using pfsense, I would recommend you check that every feature you need and are currently using is supported in USG.

FREAKJAM

Nov 11, 2013
Netherlands
If you just need more storage, my first suggestion is to simply use larger drives. 6x 8TB Amazon.com: WD Red 8TB NAS Hard Disk Drive - 5400 RPM Class SATA 6 Gb/s 128MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD80EFZX: Computers & Accessories and this is an easy upgrade path.

Given your current setup, it sounds like you are not RAM/ CPU limited.
You are basically advising me to swap all current hard-drives for the new ones and resilver them one by one? Will probaby take ages, plus I will end up with 6x3tb drives I will not be able to use. I rather spend some extra money for a larger case and psu so I can house all hard-drives.

When doing so, I'm only unsure how to connect all drives (what cables I would need) and if I would need a SAS expander yes or no.

Ditch pfSense...what what??? heh
Living on the edge!

I moved to an all Unifi setup a few months ago. The USG has several limitations compared to their edgemax series. But for a simple setup it is very easy to use and very stable.

If you are currently using pfsense, I would recommend you check that every feature you need and are currently using is supported in USG.
I'm basically only using pfSense to route my internet at home.
  • Internet routing
  • DHCP
  • NAT

nk215

Oct 6, 2015
I would just get a cheap case like Rosewill RSV-L4500 for $110 and move everything over there. I don't see much point in a hot swap bays for a NAS because you won't be opening the case to add HDD every year.

I like the fan pushing air over the HDD (vs pulling). You don't need to block the empty bays in a pushing setup. You also don't need higher static pressure fans. With red HDDs, you can even remove the fan wall to save some noise and a few watts.

I don't even think you need to change the PSU. 360 watts is fine for 12 HDDs or so.

Reactions: Techspin