Need to reset IPMI but no CPU and no POST - Supermicro X11SPM-F

• Thread starter Deleted member 28354
  • Start date
Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
D

Deleted member 28354

I am in a major pickle :( I don't have the IPMI user name and password, default don't work and I need to access the IMPI to upgrade my BIOS so the Xeon CPU I have will be supported.

Is chicken and egg situation here. To update the BIOS and support my CPU I need to reset IPMI access, but to reset IPMI I need CPU and memory to boot :)

What other ways I can reset the IPMI without being able to POST / boot? I tried the battery removal trick and short the jumper but that didn't do it :(

This one got nothing for me:

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
get a CPU supported by the current BIOS.
i expect you have a 2nd gen Xeon and the X11SPM runs a BIOS 2.x - you can buy i.e. a cheap 1st Gen ES CPU like the QL1M.

D

Deleted member 28354

That is correct, I have a 2nd generation Xeon and the BIOS 2.0 won't run it :( I wish asked the seller to verify it and update to for me before shipping.

Spearfoot

Apr 22, 2015
I am in a major pickle :( I don't have the IPMI user name and password, default don't work and I need to access the IMPI to upgrade my BIOS so the Xeon CPU I have will be supported.

Is chicken and egg situation here. To update the BIOS and support my CPU I need to reset IPMI access, but to reset IPMI I need CPU and memory to boot :)

What other ways I can reset the IPMI without being able to POST / boot? I tried the battery removal trick and short the jumper but that didn't do it :(

This one got nothing for me:
Newer Supermicro motherboards usually have a label with the BMC MAC and password -- did you check to see if your board has one? Here's an example from one of my boards:

ipmi-password-on-mobo.jpg

Disregard if you've already found and tried this, 'cause someone may have deleted or changed the default ADMIN password on your board -- which would result in exactly the problem you're facing. In that case, you might have to install an older CPU (as mentioned above) and then use the IPMICFG program to reset the BMC settings, per this FAQ:

Last edited:

sparx

Jul 16, 2015
Sweden
I have the same board. Mine came new with ADMIN/ADMIN im pretty sure.
Perhaps you can borrow a cheap skylake from someone? Else get the cheapest 3104 bronze and upgrade your bios and re-sell after.

D

Deleted member 28354

Can I ship you the board LOL :) Kidding. I am trying to find a cheap Xeon

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
you can just get yourself a cheap spi eeprom flasher and a clip and flash the eeprom of the BMC.
a usefull tool to have and so on.

D

Deleted member 28354

Shoot, I will go eprom flashing in a hard bit. Which spi eeprom flasher you recommend? I am already researching it

Something like this?

D

Deleted member 28354

LOL, I will need a new mobo.... Is ok to live dangerously
Naah, I researched, way to involved and not well documented at all.
I used to do eeprom flashing for my bimmer in the days.

ericloewe

Apr 24, 2017
No, the BMC has an independent flash IC which used to store the software and the settings.

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
@johnwhicker ch341a is completely fine, have one myself.
You need more then one clip, BMC eeprom usually are SOP16 and the shown clip is a SOP8 that Bios chips usually have.

The likelihood of you permanently bricking the board with that is basically 0.
Just don't reverse polarity.
Everything else like a bad or interrupted flash is recoverable.

The 1.8V Levelshifter is also a good idea, modern systems use 1.8V based EEPROMS.
So also check the chip and its voltage before hooking it up.

D

Deleted member 28354

I just got a Xeon Bronze on eBay for $100. Who wants a Xeon after I am done with reseting my IPMI and upgrading my BIOS? LOL

Reactions: Brian Puccio
D

Deleted member 28354

ALLELUIA: I finally got it to work after I got my cheap eBay Xeon Bronze. I managed to reset the IMPI password and upgraded BIOS to 3.4. The 2nd Gen Xeon now works perfect. GOD this thing runs hot.

Who needs a cheap Xeon Bronze LOL :)