Need to control Bara-metal ESXi from Wi-Fi

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Mahdi

Mar 15, 2016
Hello,

I am planning to create a home lab on my PC. My plan is to install a bara-metal Virtualization OS(e.g. ESXI or XenServer) on my PC and try to control them from my laptop via Wi-Fi.

The Problem that I do not want to use any physical switches, I want to create a hotspot from the PC to share internet and make VMs controllable from the laptop.

What is the best Virtualization OS, and what is the configuration?

Physical components of the lab (the ones I think it is important):
  • Andorid Phone (for now I will use Sony Xperia Z2
  • Alfa AWUSO36H Wireless Adapter (Realtek RTL8187L Chipset)
I did a conceptual diagram of the needed infrastructure. you can see it below and in attachment

Thank you in advance :)

Attachments

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
What are you using to do your routing between subnets? NSX? Pfsense? etc in a VM, or do you have a router type app on your droid device?

I suggest using range extenders, one in extender mode, one in AP mode to do your hook-up to your LAN and your Internet, something along the lines of the TPlink TL-WA830RE. Or you could use 2 x WIFI cards, if you have spare expansion slots on your host, lthough I would think the latter will likely be pretty poor performing unless you're very careful. Either way, you'll still need to route packets between your subnets and your gateway, so you'll be needing NAT/ PAT, unless your droid device can provide that. Your virtual switch can be configured for VLAN's, so that's not a big issue. As for which Hypervisor to go with, the best answer is, the one you prefer that fully meets your requirements. I personally prefer ESXi, but there are other options out there, like Hyper-V, KVM, XEN, RHEV etc :)

Mahdi

Mar 15, 2016
I do not know what to use for routing between subnets, but I think I may use pfSense for routing.

I did not get the point of using range extender in extender mode, but I do not want to use any additional physical devices.

I am most likly will go with ESXi, and thank you for your suggestion.