Need Supermicro IPMI VGA socket, anyone has motherboard not working?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
If we can get the schematics it's just a simple matter of looking up the part numbers. The connectors are undoubtedly standard, but LCSC might be more likely to carry them instead of the more western suppliers considering we don't mass produce computer mainboards anymore.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
rnhotecpcA.jpg problem with this is the connector is 180 degree rotated, the PCB pinout is mirrored then.
I'm starting to think it's a custom supermicro one, there are two stabilizer bars the others not have i.e.

Last edited:

ndemarco

Jun 23, 2020
I don't see it being custom, as the application makes sense: minimal encroachment on PCB area. The pinout is reversed if that's the best signal routing, so I could see these being 'handed' parts to minimize PCB trace routing issues.

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
Sorry for responding now, only saw the thread now.
I have a few dead SM boards that i could remove the plug from, if that is still what you want.
I am from the EU as well though.

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
Still looks like the aforementioned https://4donline.ihs.com/images/Vip...3-1.pdf?hkey=52A5661711E402568146F3353EA87419 is the part. (DZ11A51-H8R1-4F)

Even the pin 11 marking on the PCB matches up with the pin 11 mark on the connector. On top of that, if you look closely at the blue inner part of the VGA connector you can see the embossed "FOXCONN" letters, identical to the mechanical drawing in the PDF.

vga.jpegfp.jpg

As mentioned before, soldering them in isn't all that hard, but making a clean removal is difficult without hot air and/or a preheater because of the thermal mass the multilayer PCB has. That said, it's just a connector, and it has been installed and removed before so it's not exactly the first time humanity had to deal with this ;-)

If you need to remove a component and you don't need if afterwards: just cut it up! Cut/separate all the pins if you can, much easier to save the PCB that way. Inversely, if you have a dead PCB and you want to 'save' a component: cut out the part of the PCB the component is on, that significantly reduces the thermal mass and makes it much easier to safely desolder. Things like chip quick can help a lot there too, but preheating is just as safe/easy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Labs and RolloZ170

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
no ots is on the opposite side.
No it isn't. Not on the PCB and not on the connector. The footprint is 100% a match. Not only that, the connector that broke off from the Supermicro board is labelled Foxconn.

The silkscreen on the PCB is upside down from the mechanical drawing from Foxconn. Keep in mind that the only thing that is important is the footprint, not the VGA orientation of the DB-15 side. That one can be flipped 180 which means you flip your VGA cable 180 degrees as well (rotate it). The only limitation is signal routing and mechanical fit and this connector matches the PCB.

fpb.jpg

To make a distinction between what will fit on the PCB and how the connector 'looks' on the VGA D-SUB end:

PCB.pngDSUB.png

In the last case, you can get a flipped connector that has the same PCB footprint and mechanical support but a rotated VGA D-SUB layout, also made by Foxconn. If you look at the third post with the broken-off connector you can see one plastic support sticking out below pin 11, the same orientation as the mechanical drawing here.

Last edited:

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
That's a cool offer. They're difficult to remove without destroying them, even with hot air tools.
Don't worry, not my first rodeo.
And i now have a 250W JBC and quick hotair, muhahahaha.

Shipping is an issue though, as Rollo sais

• Love
Reactions: oneplane

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
Hmm it seems FOXCONN | FOXCONN DZ11A51-H8R1-4F | D-Sub/DVI/HDMI Connectors - LCSC.COM has it listed but not in stock :( Avnet has it with a minimum order quantity of 4000 so that's not great either.

The issue I imagine is that Foxconn uses a specific footprint that other manufacturers simply don't replicate. What you could do in a pinch is solder on an IDC header with wires and then use a standard IDC-VGA PCI plate to connect. But that's kinda meh.

ndemarco

Jun 23, 2020
Good find, for sure, but unobtanium! Group buy anyone? We only need 3998 more. We're 0.025% to the goal.

It's possible to just rely on the BMC's video, but that's also a janky fix.

Unobtanium. Ugh.

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
Maybe a stock request at LCSC is the best next thing to ask for. They might just get a 4k order in to at least have some stock and their minimum quantity is just 1 so that's much easier. Nearly all other high density D-SUB connectors either don't have mechanical supports at all, or they have them in the wrong location. I suppose it wouldn't be much of a problem is the connector itself was screwed into the chassis, but it's not :(

While I haven't broken off any VGA connectors on my X10 or X11 boards yet, that will probably happen at some point and just being able to solder in a new one would be very nice.