Need Supermicro IPMI VGA socket, anyone has motherboard not working?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

maxermaxer

Oct 28, 2016
Hello! I was careless the other day to break the VGA socket of a Supermicro serverboard. The whole socket ripped off completely. I would like to find one good VGA socket of Supermicro motherboard and solder it myself. Does any one has a Supermicro motherboard, with working VGA socket? Let me know if you are willing to let go such motherboard. Thanks!

maxermaxer

Oct 28, 2016
The store only has a socket with three rows of soldering pins. Supermicro's has only two rows of soldering pins. Not a straightforward thing and easy to find I think.

File 27-8-2017, 08 30 32.jpeg

File 27-8-2017, 08 31 55.jpeg

File 27-8-2017, 08 32 08.jpeg

Last edited:

maxermaxer

Oct 28, 2016
Thank you John and Sparx! I have been pretty busy these days but I will spend some time online with your tips. Thank you!

ndemarco

Jun 23, 2020
@maxermaxer did you ever find this connector? All the connectors linked by @sparx are the deeper style, with three rows of board mount pins.

I tried a NorComp from DigiKey here. The pin spacing is correct, but the port is backward - would plug INTO the case, not outward toward the shield.

This is for a SuperMicro X10SRH-CLN4F I'm reviving. These low profile VGA connectors got pulled when sliding servers in and out of racks.

knorps

Feb 8, 2021
Check Aliexpress for "thin/slim vga connector", i ordered some but did receive the 3 row instead of 2 row ones.

knorps

Feb 8, 2021
I think it was this one:
€ 0,43 | SLIM-D-SUB
DB15 three-row hole seat
Forward and reverse COM socket
Blue and black ultra-thin
VGA female connector

here is another:

€ 16,97 | 10pcs/lot VGA Jack Socket Connector D-SUB 15P F R/A DIP for Laptop CRT PORT 7-8
AliExpress - Online Shopping for Popular Electronics, Fashion, Home & Garden, Toys & Sports, Automobiles and More. 6

ndemarco

Jun 23, 2020
@knorps the first you linked has the board retention lugs perpendicular to the connector's axis. The SuperMicro pattern has both parallel.

--BUT--

The second link didn't work for me - but the description found these:

This one looks right. 7 pins closer to the VGA connector, lugs in line with the pins.

If @gb00s needs some, I might just pull the trigger. Total price w/shipping for 10 pieces is US$20, which is pretty steep for Ali stuff like this.

ndemarco

Jun 23, 2020
@bryan_v I ordered the parts from Ali. I'll report back in about one millenium, after I receive the parts.

The PCB photos above are just me peacocking after desoldering a connector. A few of the pins had been torn free of the connector, so stubby metal remnants were stuck inside the solder pool. They were tough to remove.

I solemnly promise to update this post when the connectors arrive. :p

Reactions: bryan_v

ndemarco

Jun 23, 2020
The connectors arrived. Unfortunately, they are not the right form to insert into the board. They're not close enough to make them work in some reasonable way.:oops:

So, it's back to the search. I may ask SuperMicro. What are the chances???