Need suggestions to Truenas Core build

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

GeeK

May 6, 2023
I've been trying to choose a motherboard and processor for my upcoming Truenas Core build.

I am completely lost with these different options. I have looked at different xeon-D, Atom and Embedded epyc models.
The more I've looked at these, the more I'm lost with the different options.

Budget: 500€ - 1000€ (motherboard + processor)

Purpose of use:
Home server. Mainly a media server for movies, tv-series and music.
Also any family personal files such as photos etc.

Only NAS functions.

I want to run docker and VM's on a separate proxmox device. In this case, the proxmox device can be used as a "playground"
and the NAS can perform its tasks as stable and reliable as possible.

Because in home use the NAS is just idling approximately 95% of the time and the price of electricity is high today in Europe,
so idle consumption should be as low as possible. No need to squeeze a last drops of power consumption
however. Aim for idle consumption is 50w-100w. (with 6 HDD and possible pcie card(s))

I already have a 24bay 4U rack case with 6gbit backplanes from my previous unRAID build.

What I want:
- Will start with 6 wide RaidZ2
- Server grade hardware (prefer supermicro)
- 10gbit NIC, doesn't matter is it embedder or pcie card if total power consumption is roughly the same. I think SFP+ would be a better option?
- ECC ram. Propably used (cheap) registered ram from ebay. Minimum 128GB as truenas love RAM, taking suggestions also for this!
- HBA card (pcie) Propably start with 8i card but want to have an option to swap it to 24i card if I will populate my whole server someday.

What this server should do:
- Powerful enough to serve files to all users and running services without any hiccups.
- I would like to have an encrypted pool(s). That might effect to cpu choise?

Is any Atom powerful enough for my needs, should I pick some xeon-D instead? Any opinion would be appreciated!