Need some opinions

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

iotapi322

Sep 8, 2017
I'm caught in analysis paralysis.
I have a couple of cisco C220M4's, 2 Dell R510's LFF a dell R710 and, well that's about it. I'm doing this whole chia mining thing, mainly for fun.

One of the R510's is my 'house production' server so I don't touch it along with the r710.

I can't decide on getting a PowerVault MD1220 or getting a r720xd. Both of them are the 2.5sff. This would be to do the plot creations.

PowerVault advantage is it can be connected to the C220's which have 40 cores. so lots of muscle.
disadvantage - once i put the external HBA card in I am CERTAIN the fans are going to spin up on that cisco unit.

R720 advantage -another cpu to do fun stuff with once this chia thing stops or I get bored. I can control the fan speed
Disadvantage - more expense by a couple hundred dollars and the cpu chip in it (even dual) is no where near what the C220M4's have.

I am running a 10GB network, so doing an iscsi target could work...

I am building a wooden enclosure to hold all the LFF drives that i have and will be using an HBA with an expander unit. This will hold all the generated plots and will do the farming. I have a regular PC sitting around to do that.

Thoughts?
thanks,
Matt

iotapi322

Sep 8, 2017
I picked up the power vault for $155 bucks, I spent $50 more dollars on 10 more drive trays, that should go along with the other 10 that I have.