Need some help with a FreeNAS problem

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Just logged in and found this -
FreeNAS.PNG

I assume da5 has failed. Now how do I go about replacing it? First time I've run into a failed drive in FreeNAS. Is #2 saying the drive is offline? If it is, can I just replace it and rebuild? It's a RAIDz2 array.

TIA :)

Should have noted that the status of the array is showing as healthy hence my confusion.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
If the pool (zpool status <name>) is online then the device has not failed yet but has smart errors.
Time to get a replacement drive.
In the meantime read up on how to replace the drive properly :)

Reactions: Cole

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Yep, I figured out how to off line the drive and now I'm working on making it's replacement available (See my post under Win Server / HyperV). :)

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Is the drive itself OFF LINE?
It wasn't until I off lined it. I replaced it and it's resilvering now. Put the old drive in another box and it isn't detected at all so it definitely failed. This was an old old recertified Seagate 1TB drive. I have no idea when I bought it but I've had it at least a decade. The only regret I have is that I can't access the drive to check the power on hours. R.I.P.

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
Is #2 saying the drive is offline? If it is, can I just replace it and rebuild? It's a RAIDz2 array.
No, it is saying that when it ran its periodic internal ("offline") SMART tests, it found 4 sectors it couldn't read, even with error recovery. They may or may not be in allocated space in your pool. You should follow whatever procedure FreeNAS specifies to swap a failed drive.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Sounds like @Fritz has solved this issue but here is the lowdown/skinny on replacing failed drives.

Click on top level pool, click 'Volume Status' button near bottom left pane. Next use offline button to ake failed/failing dev offline, then slot new disk and wait a min or two, then click replace button, select new slotted device and done deal :-D

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Sounds like @Fritz has solved this issue but here is the lowdown/skinny on replacing failed drives.

Click on top level pool, click 'Volume Status' button near bottom left pane. Next use offline button to ake failed/failing dev offline, then slot new disk and wait a min or two, then click replace button, select new slotted device and done deal :-D
Yes sir, that's what I did. The hard part was finding the offline button. :)

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Way easier to SSH to a root shell, do a 'zpool status <pool name>', copy the drive ID of the failed drive and type 'zfs replace <pool name> <dead drive id> <new drive>'.

Where <new drive> is /dev/<drive id>'

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Freenas provides shell access from the gui so no need for SSH;) Just copying is a little less comfy there

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Freenas provides shell access from the gui so no need for SSH;) Just copying is a little less comfy there
Something about doing a web-login to a gui so I can pull a shell just bothers me - especially when you can just SSH from your workstation in one step (assuming you have your keys properly set up in advance).

In fact if I am on Linux or a Mac I don't really even have to SSH in at all...I can just remote the commands "ssh me@freenas sudo zpool status ...".

herby

Aug 18, 2013
I think you can replace disks via: Storage -> Volumes -> View Volumes -> [whatever zpool had a disk fail] -> Volume Status -> [the failed disk] -> Replace

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
For me, the command line is a necessary evil to be used only as a last resort. Yea, I'm cli challenged. Typos cause me great stress and I'm prone to making them. :(

Reactions: Xicaque