Need some guidance on setting up a personal cloud

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I'm a complete noobe to this so pardon my ignorance. :)

Questions -

1. Is there any cloud server software that runs under Windows?
2. Is there any cloud software that is private, i.e. does not involve your files going thru a third party servers before it gets to it's destination? What I mean by this is the cloud software vendor's servers.

I attempted to install Owncloud on a Ubuntu box but decided it was too much gibberish to slog through. I can deal with Windows but Linux to me is Like Chinese to an Eskimo. :(

Or maybe I should just give up and use a NAS? :eek:

TIA

OBasel

Dec 28, 2010
@Fritz even Microsoft is embracing Linux in its resurgence.

This is a good project to learn the inevitable.

Reactions: Fritz

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
Do you just need it to store content and be able to access remotely? Or are you looking for / need syncing etc?

If you just need access to content, windows server 2012 r2 essentials allows you to access your content remotely with Anywhere Access feature. That is what I use. If i am using a laptop, i use the vpn, if im on cell i use web portal.

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
Since forever I've always just VPNed home and accessed my files that way. Even on my phone, via OpenVPN. Then SSH, SSHFS, NFS, CIFS, whatever.. Insert acronym soup here.

I did it before "cloud" was cool... or something.. :)

I agree with marcoi though, do you want to just access files? Web based required? Syncing or just generic access?

With something like OwnCloud or Linux + WebMin, you can manage the server much like any other web-based NAS. You shouldn't need CLI at all with those.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Syncing is the main feature I need.

Alas Obasel, Me thinks you are correct. Might as well dig in and do battle with the beast. But like all my Linux endeavors, I shall forget all I learn in a fortnight.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
UPDATE: Managed to get Nextcloud installed after much grief. I was using one set of instructions and ran into an insurmountable problem so gave up and went looking for another set. found one that was TOTALLY different from the first set. Second time was the charm. So now that I have it it's time to learn how to use it. This is some seriously difficult SW to install, hope learning it isn't.

These are the instructions that worked in case anyone is interested -

How To Install Nextcloud In Ubuntu 16.04 LTS - OSTechNix

cheezehead

Sep 23, 2012
Midwest, US
With Windows, you could always use offline folders...limited in functionality but it's there.

AeroFS
SharePoint (OneDrive)
BitTorrent sync

If you want relatively simple to install, you could always take a look at FreeNAS' plugins.

NextCloud
OwnCloud
Resilio
Syncthing

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I'll definitely be looking at Owncloud/Nextcloud on FreeNAS but think I'll wait for v10 to hit the streets. HyperV also sounds awesome, I could save a box going that route.

I ran into a couple of problems getting Nextcloud up and running. After the inital log in it would let me in again. Tried to reset password using occ but ran into a permissions problem. Got some help from a Guru over at Hard[OCP] that did an awesome job translating the gibberish so now I'm off and running. This is just a test run, as soon as I feel comfortable running this I'll put it on a permanent box like maybe my backup server running Win Server 2012 R2. :)

Reactions: cheezehead

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Just wanted to report I finally got it working. It's running in a VM on my backup server which saved me a box. Also, I have it set up so that the VM and Nextcloud have access to the Internet but the backup server does not. This is ideal for my needs. :)

Reactions: KioskAdmin

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
Just wanted to report I finally got it working. It's running in a VM on my backup server which saved me a box. Also, I have it set up so that the VM and Nextcloud have access to the Internet but the backup server does not. This is ideal for my needs. :)
Did you setup scheduled checkpoints for them?

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Did you setup scheduled checkpoints for them?
Didn't think you could but after googling it I see it can be done with a script via task manager. For my purposes, an occasional checkpoint done manually will suffice.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
Didn't think you could but after googling it I see it can be done with a script via task manager. For my purposes, an occasional checkpoint done manually will suffice.
yeah I do it via powershell and a scheduled task, even setting it up to do weekly could save your ass if something goes south one day(as opposed to nightly with two weeks worth of checkpoint retention with manuals before breaking changes like I need at work)

Reactions: Fritz