Need some basic Linux help

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
When I installed Linux Mint Cinnamon I enabled auto login only to find out later that if you do the computer not automatically connect to network shares and you'll have to input both passwords before you're connected. This is profanely stupid but not as stupid as a total lack og information as to how to disable auto login in the latest edition of Mint 20.

Yes, Google is full of pages that tell you how to do this but absolutely none of them are applicable to the latest version or they simply do nothing. Furthermore, enabling manual login under the users tab does, yep, you guessed it, absolutely nothing. So I'm to the point where I either to to find out how to do this or reinstall Linux. If I end up reinstalling Linux it sure as hell isn't going to be Mint.

PS : I bet at least 95 percent of the Linux info on the web is useless BS. :mad:

andrewbedia

Jan 11, 2013
Just add it in /etc/fstab is the short answer and probably the right way to go. There should be plenty of examples for this. You should be able to use documentation not specific to mint since fstab is a generic part of Linux for mounting filesystems in a pre-defined way.