Need some advice about vsga

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

denywinarto

Aug 11, 2016
Hi.. i'm currently using diskless solution (ccboot) with 30 quad core amd a68n-5200 clients, the primary usage is video playing (youtube) and chrome multitab browsing. Theres also Photoshop and corel but they are rarely used.

I'm interested with vsga solution, but since theres not much information i can find, need to ask few things:

1. Can vsga be used with monitor only without thin clients? Assuming i'm using quadro 6000, can i use another gpu card to act as connector to multiple monitors? Im talking about A setup similar to multiseat programs (aster, betwin, softxpand, etc)

2. What about the license needed for this setup? Mind sharing the cost needed?

3. Performance-wise, how many client should i assign to quadro 6000 with above usage ?
I read vgpu is currently the best.. but their licensing term is too expensive for me..

Thanks

nk215

Oct 6, 2015
Starting with ESXi 6, VMware discontinues support for quadro card for vsga. If you want to use your card, you need to stick with 5.5 or 6.0 at the latest. (6.0u1 won't work).

In vsga you are only limited by the amount of video memory. Each client can use a max of 256meg so at max config quadro 6k can support 12 ( ESXi reserves an extra same amount for some reason).

VGPU with older grid k2/k1 has no extra license cost.

Reactions: denywinarto

denywinarto

Aug 11, 2016
Starting with ESXi 6, VMware discontinues support for quadro card for vsga. If you want to use your card, you need to stick with 5.5 or 6.0 at the latest. (6.0u1 won't work).

In vsga you are only limited by the amount of video memory. Each client can use a max of 256meg so at max config quadro 6k can support 12 ( ESXi reserves an extra same amount for some reason).

VGPU with older grid k2/k1 has no extra license cost.
I see, would something like this work on vgpu / vsga build?

So.. i just get the older grid k1 and thats all its needed? No vmware or nvidia license needed?

nk215

Oct 6, 2015
You will need ESXi enterprise to use vGPU but there is no additional vGPU licenses for k1/k2 cards.

kayakerscout

Feb 20, 2017
Cookeville, TN
www.jeremyey.us
So.. i just get the older grid k1 and thats all its needed? No vmware or nvidia license needed?
Worth noting for the diagram you have posted, the K1/K2 (as well as the newer M6/M60/M10) cards do not have external video outputs, so a direct connection would not be possible. They are intended for applications where the VMs are accessed via a remote access protocol (PCoIP, ICA, RDP, etc).

denywinarto

Aug 11, 2016
Worth noting for the diagram you have posted, the K1/K2 (as well as the newer M6/M60/M10) cards do not have external video outputs, so a direct connection would not be possible. They are intended for applications where the VMs are accessed via a remote access protocol (PCoIP, ICA, RDP, etc).
Hmm i guess vdga is the only approach possible for my method?
Is there any way to do VDGA with multiple GPU slots?

kayakerscout

Feb 20, 2017
Cookeville, TN
www.jeremyey.us
Hmm i guess vdga is the only approach possible for my method?
Is there any way to do VDGA with multiple GPU slots?
While not aware of anything that would prevent you from using more than one graphics card and passing those cards to different VMs, it isn't something I have experience with. My limited use of VDGA has been with single card in the host (and thus to a single VM).