Need recommendations for 10 Gbps NIC cards and switch for home lab

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

DistantStar

Dec 21, 2019
I just saw Patrick's MikroTik CRS312-4C+8XG-RM review. Nice switch, and good cost for what it provides. Looks like its fan noise is high, but this would be for basement use, so I can live with the fan. But more challenging is finding 10 Gbps NICs that meet my aforementioned requirements (PCI 3.0 x4 slot, VMware ESXi 6.7 & 7.0 support, and not too expensive).
Saw this when Googling the model number, you can replace the fans Noctuas if sound is a concern:

Kinda annoying you have to spend an extra $60 to quiet it down but hey there's options

randman

May 3, 2020
My office is right above the basement (where the switch will be), so I'm assuming the fan isn't so loud I'd have to resort to this :) .

randman

May 3, 2020
Well, I got my 10GbE network going. My configuration:

- MikroTik CRS309-1G-8S+IN 10GbE switch (this is the 8 port SFP+ version without fans)
- 3 Mellanox MCX311A-XCAT 10GbE NICs, which I added to:
- HPE MicroServer Gen10+. NIC is on x16 slot.
- 1st HPE ML30 Gen 9 server. The NIC is on a PCI-e port that's x8 physical and x4 electrical
- 2nd HPE ML30 Gen 9 server. The NIC is on a PCI-e port that's x4 physical but only x1 electrical. Finding a 10GbE NIC that was "ideal" for an x1 slot was the challenge (thanks for suggestion to not even consider a PCI-e 2.0 card and just get PCI-e 3.0 card).

I tested network speeds using iperf3 (nice that it's already included as part of ESXi in /usr/lib/vmware/vsan/ bin).

As expected, iperf testing between the MicroServer Gen10+ and the 1st HPE ML30 Gen9 (with NIC in an x4 electrical slot), resulted in 9.27 Gbits/sec.

I was expecting to get less speed with the 2nd HPE ML30 Gen 9, since the NIC is only on an x1 electrical socket. iperf testing between the HPE MicroServer Gen10+ and the 2nd HPE ML30 (which has the NIC in an x1 electrical slot) resulted in 6.11 Gbits/sec. I was hoping something closer to the theoretical 8Gbits/sec of a PCI-e 3.0 x1 slot, but result was still nice compared to what I was getting out of the 1GbE ports. Normally, I shouldn't need to come close to the 6.11 Gbits/sec on my testing. This 2nd HPE ML30 Gen9's x4 and x16 slots are already being used by an NVMe and a GPU, respectively, so an x1 electrical (x4 physical) slot was all that was available for the NIC.

Aside: I also tested iperf3 with my old MicroServer Gen8. It only got 0.55 Gbits/sec, which is a bit lower than the theoretical 1Gbits/sec.

Anyway, the Mellanox NICs were a fine choice. 10Gbe and supported by VMware drivers in ESXi 6.7 and 7.0. SOIV would've been ideal, but the used prices of the Mellanox NICs were enticing enough (< $40/NIC).

Next step is to migrate an old Synology to a newer one with 10GbE NIC, to add on to the network (ultimately, simply transferring the disks from the old NAS to a new NAS is simplest/fastest approach).

Piglover - Thanks for suggestion on SFP+ and cables. Better prices for SFP+ and I suppose better stability and lower energy. SFP+ amongst the equipment in my basement was a good choice. Longer term, I'm still looking for a 10GBASE-T (RJ45 ports) to use in my main equipment closet to reuse the existing CAT 6 wiring throughout my home. Ideally, I'd get one with enough 1GbE and 10GbE ports to replace my main 1GbE Cisco SG-200 switch that's past EOL (I need two to three dozen ports), or just get a 10GBASE-T switch with 8 10GbE ports in the shorter term to supplement my main switch. The MikroTik CRS312-4C+8XG-RM switch (with 8 1G/2.5G/5G/10G Ethernet ports) would have been nice, but as mentioned, the fan is way too loud. The switch would be in an equipment closet, which is not too far from a bedroom, and from the Youtube video's I've seen it sounds obnoxiously loud. If I can find a switch for just a slightly higher cost, it would be worth the extra $$ to not mess with fans, voiding the warranty, etc.

Last edited:

RobstarUSA

Sep 15, 2016
How about the SolarFlare 7k/8k series? pci-e 3.0 2 port cards are under $30 on ebay. They have 2 port 10Gbit copper card I've seen for $50