Need reasonably priced (Under $2K) 8 to 24 port 10GBASE-T switch with 40Gbs QSFP+ uplink

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
We have two separate dual-controller 10GbE iSCSI SAN's (VESS R2600tiD) on the network and have found that when more than one user is writing 8K uncompressed (4:4:4) 12-bit video data out (approx. 9Gb/s) to their LUN (virtual iSCSI drive) it overloads the Network Bandwidth quickly. Since there would never be more than 3 user stations capable of writing out 8K video data simultaneously, then providing 40Gbs uplink between switches would allow write devices (source PC's) and their local switch to write out to (target iSCSI SAN) always at full 10Gb/s write rate actual is RAID storage is).
So need to purchase at least qty (3) Network Switches with preferred configuration of 8-ports 10GBASE-T and 1-port or 2-ports of 40Gbs QSFP+. However if that small a switch size isn't and option then a 16-port or 24-port version of the same 10GBASE-T capability and at least qty (1) 40Gbs would be fine. Could also substitute 100Gbs uplink to run between them if cost differential between 40Gbs & 100Gbs wasn't two great. The maximum distance the Fiber cable would have to run is 100 meters. Need each switch to be accessible through an http based GUI so as to monitor port status and bandwidth.

Found this unit that provides 49-10GBASE-T Ports & 4x40G QSFP+ Ports best price $3,799
S5850-48T4Q, 48-Port Ethernet L3 Fully Managed Plus Switch, 48 x 10G BASE-T, with 4 x 40Gb QSFP+ Uplinks

NablaSquaredG

Layer 1 Magician
Aug 17, 2020
It's not that easy.

The RJ45 modules need a lot of power and there's a limitation on how much you can use! You also need proper spacing between them or they're gonna overheat (according to Mikrotik).

Yes the one you've found is pretty good it does have 25G QSFP uplinks, not quite 40G QSFP+. But you got me to thinking so checked out Dell's switch selection within this range and did find a pretty cool one that features: 28 x 10GBase-T ports, 2 x 40GbE QSFP+ ports, 2 x 100GbE QFSP28 ports but we're talking $9000. So this costs some serious bucks. I already have a Netgear M4300-96X Modular Switch which will support the same connectivity capabilities as the Dell but that unit cost $7500 configured that way. The version I have of the Netgear M4300-96X cost me $4500.00 I'm using it as a Core Network Switch in the Knoxville (small) data center.

In this case I do need to monitor the port status of all the 10GbE switches. Either using a pretty decent WebGui or Management card. Most of the switches area L2 or L3 level switches. Actually trying to work with MikroTik to have them create a new model that would have sixteen (16) or (24) Port 10GBase-T and two (2) 40G QSFP+ ports for uplinks. That would be cheap and absolutely ideal for my needs.

Reactions: llowrey

zunder1990

Nov 15, 2012
In this case I do need to monitor the port status of all the 10GbE switches. Either using a pretty decent WebGui or Management card. Most of the switches area L2 or L3 level switches. Actually trying to work with MikroTik to have them create a new model that would have sixteen (16) or (24) Port 10GBase-T and two (2) 40G QSFP+ ports for uplinks. That would be cheap and absolutely ideal for my needs.
If you need to monitor the port status or traffic levels you should really be using an NMS like librenms.

Reactions: fohdeesha

Jason Antes

Feb 28, 2020
Twin Cities
48x 10gbase-t, 4x 40gbE, redundant PSUs and fans, very powerful software, $300: Brocade XBR-VDX6740T-24-R 24-Port 10 Gigabit Ethernet Switch | eBay

However no web UI, as like pretty much all 40gbE and up gear you'll find it was designed for people who know what they're doing - can't think of any other vendor in this port density/bandwidth category that has web UIs still, other than mikrotik
I still have the R version for sale. ;)
I can trim out unnecessary parts to bring down cost and even set up a remote session to allow for looking at it before buying.
https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...vdx6740-64-r-plus-extras-lowered-price.31021/

klui

Feb 3, 2019
48x 10gbase-t, 4x 40gbE, redundant PSUs and fans, very powerful software, $300: Brocade XBR-VDX6740T-24-R 24-Port 10 Gigabit Ethernet Switch | eBay
The description states it's a 24-port 10G switch but the picture shows 48 ports. Does it mean only 24 ports are licensed for 10G? Looks like these switches are priced the same as the Arista 7050Ts a year or so back.

I thought you don't like the VDXes. I suppose if you need 10Gbase-T and don't want to spend over $1k for an Arista, this is a good alternative.

The description states it's a 24-port 10G switch but the picture shows 48 ports. Does it mean only 24 ports are licensed for 10G? Looks like these switches are priced the same as the Arista 7050Ts a year or so back.

I thought you don't like the VDXes. I suppose if you need 10Gbase-T and don't want to spend over $1k for an Arista, this is a good alternative.
This wasn't what I wanted its what another individual suggested.

pcunite

Dec 10, 2019
The RJ45 modules need a lot of power and there's a limitation on how much you can use! You also need proper spacing between them or they're gonna overheat (according to Mikrotik).
Understood. With the expenditure here, can you maybe instead switch to using SFP+ style network cards in the end devices? Maybe get around the RJ45 requirement? Anyway, hope you find something.

Understood. With the expenditure here, can you maybe instead switch to using SFP+ style network cards in the end devices? Maybe get around the RJ45 requirement? Anyway, hope you find something.
That would of course be the best solution. But we'd have to spend another $2000 to get all the new Fiber runs completed (plus the cost of the new fiber). All said and done it would be cheaper to buy three (3) $3500 switches that do what I want now than go through the hassle of doing new wire runs with 100s of feet of new fiber. Plus the timing aspect. Spend the money now and all the devices online the next day or schedule fiber runs to be completed and have all the devices online in 6 weeks/