Need Quick Sync

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Dan4854

May 31, 2019
I have a Xeon E-2176G processor on a Supermicro X11SCL-IF motherboard. I need Quick Sync video acceleration. I found out that the X11SCL-IF will not support Quick Sync.
I emailed Supermicro and their response was "X11SCL does not support Quick Sync, for UP, only X11SCH supports it."
I cannot find anything in the manuals that indicates either the X11SCH-F or X11SCH-LN4F (the only two boards in that series) supports Quick Sync.
Does anyone know if either or both of these boards will support Quick Sync?

Dan4854

May 31, 2019
Thanks. I pulled up the manual for the board he is using (X11SSH-LN4F) and it does not indicate Quick Sync is an option either.

I don't understand the response from Supermicro support indicating that the X11SCL series is what I need. I sent them another request for clarification, but so far, no response.

zir_blazer

Dec 5, 2016
QuickSync is not a Motherboard option, it is merely an IGP feature. As the C242 Chipset does NOT allows you to use the IGP (Chances are that it is not powered on at all, even in some C236/C246 Motherboards that should have been able to use the IGP, they provided no power for the IGP), your chances to QuickSync seems to be zero.

Reactions: BoredSysadmin

Dan4854

May 31, 2019
Thank you for the info.

I think I am going to buy an AsRock Rack C246 WSI Mini ITX Server Motherboard as it looks like the Quick Sync/IPG feature is available. It has Intel graphics support, so installing the Intel drivers should make Quick Sync acceleration available.

ASRock Rack > C246 WSI

Geran

Oct 25, 2016
Did you ever find a board? I found a couple SM boards that will work for you.

jump

Mar 13, 2020
I have the exact issue with the same motherboard and CPU. I wish I would've known about this issue before I bought the mobo, because using quick sync with plex was one of my main goals with the build.

Guess I'll get a different board too :/

denywinarto

Aug 11, 2016
Did you ever get quickysync to work with asrock board? @Dan4854 ?
It doesnt seem to have graphic port other than vga, same case as X11SCL-IF

NickM

Jul 19, 2015
Did you ever find a board? I found a couple SM boards that will work for you.
It's been a while, but @Geran do you remember/have records of which supermicro boards will work with the Xeon's with an iGPU to support quicksync?

Geran

Oct 25, 2016
It's been a while, but @Geran do you remember/have records of which supermicro boards will work with the Xeon's with an iGPU to support quicksync?
The following boards from Supermicro will work for the E-2100 series CPUs:

X11SCM-LN8F
X11SCM-F (I've personally tested this one it works for sure)
X11SCH-LN4F
X11SCH-F

Reactions: NickM

patrickRx

Apr 26, 2023
The following boards from Supermicro will work for the E-2100 series CPUs:

X11SCM-LN8F
X11SCM-F (I've personally tested this one it works for sure)
X11SCH-LN4F
X11SCH-F
Sorry to dig up an old post, but I have an X11SCM-F and a Xeon-2146G and with truenas scale installed. Maybe this is a truenas problem but I’m unable to access the iGPU. It’s not listed in lscpi. Any ideas if I need to adjust something in bios or is this just not possible? Thanks!

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
My recollection is that there are a couple of bios settings (thought it may just be one) that have to be set to: (a) to enable the onboard gpu (b) make sure you are using the BMC for video when the onboard gpu is enabled (powered). I can't reboot my x11sch-f at the moment to have a look. Its documented somewhere in here - scratches head looking at the overwhelming volume of content at STH.

patrickRx

Apr 26, 2023
My recollection is that there are a couple of bios settings (thought it may just be one) that have to be set to: (a) to enable the onboard gpu (b) make sure you are using the BMC for video when the onboard gpu is enabled (powered). I can't reboot my x11sch-f at the moment to have a look. Its documented somewhere in here - scratches head looking at the overwhelming volume of content at STH.
Thanks for the response! Just to be clear, I have the x11scm-f, not the sch, but Geran mentioned in the above post the x11scm-f works. The only other mention of that model and iGPU in this forum I could find stated the iGPU isn’t powered and doesn’t work but I was hoping this thread had the correct info!

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Thanks for the response! Just to be clear, I have the x11scm-f, not the sch, but Geran mentioned in the above post the x11scm-f works. The only other mention of that model and iGPU in this forum I could find stated the iGPU isn’t powered and doesn’t work but I was hoping this thread had the correct info!
99% sure there's a bios setting (or two) you have to tweak. I'll see if I can get it rebooted in the next 24 hours and take a look. Yes I have an x11sch-f but the bios settings are almost assuredly the same as for the 11scm-f. The key is they both use the C246 chipset.

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Thank you so much for your time! If you do learn anything I’ll really appreciate it.
I'll add while searching for the setting I did see on another forum that someone said the X11SCM-F does not work. so 1 and 1. I'll find the setting but whether it will work or not idk.

patrickRx

Apr 26, 2023
That would be a bummer. That's what I read on another post here. If it turns out I can't, should I expect the x11scz-f to work? It has DVI out so I'm assuming yes? But it would sure be nice not to buy a new board!

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
I'll add while searching for the setting I did see on another forum that someone said the X11SCM-F does not work. so 1 and 1. I'll find the setting but whether it will work or not idk.
advanced.jpg advanced pcie-pnp.jpg 1682640732576.jpeg

on an X11SCH-F and IIRC these are the settings with the values circled in red.

Proof of life is the last screenshot. Full BMC console available even with TNS running.

I also recall reading somewhere about something uefi - video enable something something but I don't have that setting in my bios.

Reactions: RolloZ170