Need pfSense Hardware Advice for Gigabit Internet

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fodmidoid

Dec 29, 2016
I haven't played around with the T30's since I only use rack mounts (have a rack, so why clutter up the floor) so I can't say if they're upgradeable with respect to processor. Spec says the only Xeon it was ever offered with is the E3-1225v5, which is actually quite slower than the E3-1280v2 and doesn't support hyperthreading.

Maybe one of the other guys who knows these boxes better can opine on whether the T30 can handle a higher v5 than the 1225. If so, and you're willing to spend the $$ on the replacement processor (for example, cheapest E3-1240 v5 on fleabay I found is about $300), I'd go that route instead of the R210 II
Yeah, a rack mount solution would be my first choice, since I have a rack, as well. But it's not a necessity for me.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
I've been AWOL for a few days but Xeon D or Pentium D1508 if you can get it is a good option too. Higher power but in the end more versatile.

Fodmidoid

Dec 29, 2016
I still need to build something and not sure yet how to go. You're saying a Xeon D-1508 would be the best way to go for gigabit Wan?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk