Need Optane DCPMM Firmware

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
Hello everyone,
can you please provide me with pointers towards any firmware for Intel DPMMs.
I'm on the quest to recover a bricked Apache pass ES stick.
Its version is reported as all zeros and it's unmanageable as well as reported non functioning.

Of course i had a look at the HPE support portal and the provided FW packages from there.
The RPMs contain one FW that is clearly labeled as encrypted.
The FWPKG files appear to just be renamed Zips and the contained FW is labeled "...rel.bin".
Main issue with those files is that they are labeled as not directly flashable in their respective XMLs.
Even though the version is identical, the files differ in content but not file size.

So, getting to know non HPE Fw would be of big help just that i couldn't find any.

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017

Apparently the rel is ok to directly flash with ipmctl.
"ipmctl load -v -source Z:\Programs\Hardware_Tools\Storage\Intel\fw_ekvb0_1.2.0.5417_rel.bin -examine -dimm"
Courtesy of @111alan from the issue.

Last edited:

NablaSquaredG

Layer 1 Magician
Aug 17, 2020
Intel gives the
ipmctl load -source (firmware file) -examine -dimm commandline to check compatibility of the firmware prior to flashing on their Optane DCPMM Firmware page.

I also want to update firmware soon, thanks for the hint with the HP firmware packages.

Reactions: RageBone

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
there is a -recover flag for the load operation.
it is deprecated in versions 2 and 3 of ipmctl.
[-recover] : Run update on non-functional PMem modules only (deprecated)

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
Intel gives the
ipmctl load -source (firmware file) -examine -dimm commandline to check compatibility of the firmware prior to flashing on their Optane DCPMM Firmware page.

I also want to update firmware soon, thanks for the hint with the HP firmware packages.
be aware, version 1 is for the 2666MT apachepass and version 2 for the later ones.
They are incompatible, don't try to flash a V2 on a V1 Stick.