Need networking help - ESXi 6.7 AIO / pfSense & napp-it

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
Howdy folks. Need help in configuring the vSwitch / Port Groups etc on the box I'm building. I'm kind of stuck after couple of hours of trial & errors. My google fu also failed me. Seems simple and I'm sure this has been done by many.

Use case - All-in-One off-site box (at a family member residence). Ideally I would like this to be just plug-and-pray :)

Chassis - Supermicro cse-721tq-250b
MB: X11SSV-Q with Pentium G4400 & 12GB RAM, H220 IT mode, 4 x 4TB drives, couple of small SSDs for esxi, pfSense, and napp-it VMs.
While it does have 2 NICs, I'm intending to use only one port to the The WiFi router / switch at the offsite. Another shortcoming I can see with this is there is no IPMI for remote management. Never messed with Intel vPro before. The CPU doesn't support it anyway.

Issue:
I'm not able to assign the NICs to LAN/WAN port groups. The only option when I add a NIC to any of the VMs is 'VM Network'. It was VLAN 0 before and I changed it to 20. I'm sure I'm missing something simple.

Ideally VLAN 20/ WAN1 will be the only one connecting to the external router. Rest of the VMs, pfSense NIC2, etc should be in LAN1 / VLAN 20.

Appreciate any help! Off to pour glass of wine and may be this will work with a less frustrated mindset :)

zxv

The more I C, the less I see.
Sep 10, 2017
When you create the WAN1 port group, choose 'Virutal machine port group' rather than 'vmkernel network adapter'.