Need help with vdev/pool configuration.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ExiledLunatic

Aug 27, 2022
Good day to all.
I am trying to setup a new trunas system. I'm running an r720 server 96g ram. Hba card (sorry forget off hand which one) and 5 netapp ds4243's. Each netapp shelf is populated with 24 600gb 15k sas drives, and OM3 controllers. My plan is to power up only the shelves I need for now and then power up additional shelves as my storage needs increase. I will have a few sata ssd drives in the r720 for boot/cache drives as well.
I'm familiar with raid 0/1/5 as well as unraid, however I can't seem to figure out the best setup with truenas.
I think I want to run raidz2 for my nas as I do not currently have any off site or on site backups for my data. My plan is to run a pool for my nas, a pool for my plex server and a pool for vm general storage. After doing some research, I'm thinking of doing two vdev's of 12 drives per shelf of 24 drives for the nas. My goal is for good redundancy to prevent any data loss but still have r/w speeds. The nas should have a balanced r/w speed.
The plex server I am not overly concerned with redundancy but should have a high read speed for smooth streaming.
Any help would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.

Weapon

Oct 19, 2013
Am I reading that correctly? 120 disks? I hope you have “free” electricity. Personally I would probably do 4x 6-disk z2, with 1 pool and just keep expanding, adding another 6 disks as needed.

If you want separate pools, then stripped mirrors should be best for vm pool, the 6-disk z2 is a pretty conservative amount of redundancy while still giving you more usable space. And for the “less important” data you could do a 12-disk z3.

mrpasc

Jan 8, 2022
Munich, Germany
Good day to all.

I think I want to run raidz2 for my nas as I do not currently have any off site or on site backups for my data.
RAID IS NOT A BACKUP!
Sorry for screaming, but can’t be said often enough. If you or yours delete data by accident it’s gone. If ransomware attacks your data it’s encrypted. If the server fires up, becomes stolen or whatever your data is gone.
RAID only helps for the damage of drives itself depending on configuration.

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
Am I reading that correctly? 120 disks? I hope you have “free” electricity.
Let us do some maths (assuming OP's electricity isn't free). a 15k rpm 2.5" drive consumes in idle about 14w. Times 120 = 1680w.
Running this 24/7 = 14716 kWh/year. Assuming you live in the cheapest US electricity state of Idaho, it's 8c per kWh or $1177/per year
Numbers Hawaii (most expensive) - nearly $6000/year.
Storage wise (assuming most space-friendly option of raid-2z of 12 drives per zdev and 10 raid groups = gives you about 48 TiB of usable space.
source:ZFS Capacity Calculator - WintelGuy.com

Compare it with 8x18TB drives in desktop-sized (DIY?) NAS about 100TB usable space and 8w power usage per drive = 560kWh/year or (again Idaho prices) - $45/year

Reactions: Stereodude