[?] Need Help with Server build

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gyrene2083

Sep 2, 2019
Hello All,

I just want to preface, that I have posted this on the UNRaid, and Reddit UNRaid forums, I posted here as well to get a variety of opinions and in case no one subscribes to either of those forums, I can get more opinions and weigh my options, thank you.

I just purchased a Supermicro 4U 24 Bay LFF E ATX Storage Chassis 12Gbps 846BE1C-R1K28B, and I am looking for a motherboard and cpu.

The chassis is coming with two SQ power supplies.

I am going to make this my main server, and make my existing Supermicro X10SRL-F a backup. I am also going to retire the Norco. I will be using this server for the following;

- Sonarr, Radarr, TDarr Dockers

- Cloudflare

- NginxProxy

- Emby

- Nextcloud

I will add a few VMs as well. I will be adding the following hardware;

- (2) NVMEs for cache (I have a 2TB Crucial P5+ and a 1TB 980 Samsung Pro)

- (1) 12 TB Ironwolf Pro (Parity Drive)

- (10) 10 TB Ironwolf Pros (Data)

I am interested in the AMDs Epyc 7002 processor. I need help with picking out a motherboard, but I don't want to go over $900 dollars for one. I want this to be the last server I build for a long time.

If you have any suggestions for the DATA drives I'm more than open to it. I'm trying to keep the heat down and I know the 7200rpm disks may cause extra heat. How much I'm not certain of maybe you guys could help on that

I also know I need a card for the chassis but I don't know which one. I am going to need a board that has a few 16x pcie slots. One for the LSI card, my Quardro p2000, and a slot for the 10gb nic card should the mobo not have a 10gb nic card in it.

I hope I provided everyone with enough information to help me. Thanks to all of you in advance.

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
I love the setup. Cant suggest much as you obviosly have seriose plans here, but have a question, how do you usr tdarr?
Can it run withoit gpu?
Can I use it not only to transcode my collection but also organaze it?

Forgot to ask, what is your plan for OS?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: gyrene2083

gyrene2083

Sep 2, 2019
I love the setup. Cant suggest much as you obviosly have seriose plans here, but have a question, how do you usr tdarr?
Can it run withoit gpu?
Can I use it not only to transcode my collection but also organaze it?

Thanks.
Thank you for the response, I'm actually quite new to Tdarr. I already have my movies and tvshows separated and just ran Tdarr based off that. I followed SpaceInvaderOnes video - Save Terabytes of Disk Space Using H265 & Tdarr and that was pretty much all I did.

I hope that helps you at the very least get started.

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
I have been running jdwonloader2 and jellyfin for the last 10 years.
Used to have setup of sickbeard and sonarr but lost the VMs. Now I am trying to recreate something similar but need to reorganize my collection so I am trying to find what can sift through existing files and rename/move them into new library.
If it transcode then into better and smaller format even better.
My issue is that I have an extensive selection of files with non English names. So setup needs to support that.

I recently rebuilt my server from Proxmox to plain Debian 11 with lxc support and converted both my jellyfin and jdwonloader2 from Proxmox lxc to regular lxc.
So far all is working. So time to expand the options

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
By the look of it it is sas3 backplane, so any sas3 hba will work like

Supermicro LSI 9300-8i 12Gbps SAS-3 HBA P16

Here is a post that looks like exactly what you asking.

It also looks like you need sff8643 cables. Not 8087.
Or depending on hba maybe a 8087 to 8643 cables.

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
You are welcome
This forum helped me a few times too.
BTW, the link is only one off hba that you may consider, it really depends on your true needs and wants. There maybe a few cards that cheaper yet still would work for you.

Wasmachineman_NL

Wittgenstein the Supercomputer FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
I have been running jdwonloader2 and jellyfin for the last 10 years.
Used to have setup of sickbeard and sonarr but lost the VMs. Now I am trying to recreate something similar but need to reorganize my collection so I am trying to find what can sift through existing files and rename/move them into new library.
If it transcode then into better and smaller format even better.
My issue is that I have an extensive selection of files with non English names. So setup needs to support that.

I recently rebuilt my server from Proxmox to plain Debian 11 with lxc support and converted both my jellyfin and jdwonloader2 from Proxmox lxc to regular lxc.
So far all is working. So time to expand the options
JDownloader, the greatest download manager there is next to dTA.