Need help to reset Supermicro motherboard that is password protected

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jang430

Mar 16, 2017
Finally got password removed from the motherboard.

What I did was using the SUPER.ROM method :D. Saw online that using a fat or fat32 formatted usb (no need to be bootable), place a recent copy of bios, and rename it to SUPER.ROM. With USB plugged, hold on to ctrl+home, power on the system. Wait till it reads your USD, before release. It will start updating the bios.

In my case, usb doesn't have led, I waited for about a minute, and the screen started to change. It showed it's going into recovery mode, then I released ctrl+home, it went on about a minute, and entered my bios (which isn't accessible before). I loaded optimized defaults, saved, and exit. That removed my system password, and I can now go into Bios as well. My BMC is also password protected. So that's a new issue I'm dealing with right now. But not as serious. I should be able to manage.

Reactions: lambda

jang430

Mar 16, 2017
FYI, got to reset BMC password using these instructions from here- Is it possible to reset the password on a SuperMicro IPMI interface?

Supermicro IPMI BMCs can be fairly erratic and troublesome. You should always use the utilities and tools provided by Supermicro before attempting a fix with universal tools such as IPMITool.

It is not necessary to reset the entire unit as others have suggested.

If you have physical access to the server, follow these simple steps to reset the ADMIN password on your IPMI:

1. Create a bootable DOS USB stick using Rufus.
  2. Download the latest IPMICFG utility released by Supermicro.
  3. Extract the archive and copy the contents of the 'DOS' folder on to your bootable DOS USB.
  4. Boot your server into DOS and navigate to the 'DOS' folder you copied on to the USB.
  5. Get the user ID of the IPMI user whose password you want to set:

ipmicfg -user list

6. Set a new password for that user (the ADMIN user typically has an ID of 2):

ipmicfg -user setpwd 2 your_password_here

7. Login to the IPMI web GUI using the password you just set.
I've reset the ADMIN password on dozens of Supermicro IPMI BMCs. Of all the methods I've tried, this is the only procedure that works 100% of the time.