Need help selecting enterprise ssd

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ServerSemi

Jan 12, 2017
I plan to use them as cache drives(read/write) with my microsemi 81605ZQ raid 6 array and want to get the best bang for the buck I could find and narrowed down to these:
Micron 5100 max 480gb
Samsung sm863a 480gb
Samsung sm863 480gb
intel s4600 480gb

I use this computer to store my data and my plex/emby server and right now with the disk 70-80% full I'm noticing slowdowns that I wish I could improve with the ssd's.

So which one should I choose and why? or do you have any other advice? Thanks

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
If you're just serving media files, I'd be very surprised to see any slowdown in IO unless you're under very heavy loads; the requirements of streaming a few media files are very low so if IO is being slow there's likely something else affecting your speeds. How many spindles do you have and how many users? What other IO happens aside from your media server?

Of the drives you listed, there's not a great deal to mark them apart other than price; the S4600 probably has the best steady-state random IO performance if I'm remembering correctly.

Reactions: ServerSemi

ServerSemi

Jan 12, 2017
Using torrents/daily backups/two vm’s but i think torrents are whats really slowing down my system