Need help planning a home server build

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Archon

Jan 6, 2018
Hi all, I am new here and new to planning a home server build so here is a little bit about me and my home server needs.
I am knowledgeable when it comes to virtual box and wamp in the pc world, plus digital content creation, website and app coding, building a online chatbot plus having my own website hosted on 1an1, and building my own desktop pc's

I been wanting my own home server for a long time but never built or brought one. I have decided that now is the time to finally buy or build one. I like the thought of building one over buying one but ether options is open.
however I need some help for i am not sure what would suit my needs. I do not want to over build too much for -MAX- funds are around $1,000.oo but i like the thought of future proofing - especially being able to add storage. but if i could keep it around 5 to 6 hundred that would be great.

uses that i have intended for the server:
1) data needs: back ups of my desktop, a local access of well organized file folder directory for all sorts of files, 2) streaming: audio and video to different devices within my home through wifi and network cabling
3) virtual machines: web server (Apache, MySql, and PHP) for local testbeds, windows xp, windows vista, windows 8, windows 7, Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora and a few others.
4) future uses: mail client, home security, and home automation.
5) access from 3 other family members with there own pc back-ups and storage folders and access to a shared media folder for streaming music and videos.

Things i do not need:
1) access from outside my home network, local users only

I been doing some research and I feel i need the server to use ecc memory, so all my data does not get corrupt. Therefore a xeon processor would be needed, I also been a intel fan and do not like amd. Seeing that this server will be on all the time, a small footprint on sound and the power consumption is a must.

I would also need help choosing a main server operating system, I would like a -non- command line type server os

Any comments, questions, help, and or suggestions would be greatly appreciated :D

Ps. I like the thoughts, size and looks of a 12u rack system, or a Thermaltake TOWER 900

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Here's a shopping list for you to work on, doesn't need to be these components, just a taste of what you'll find on the used market :)

E3 v3 or single E5 v1/ v2 based CPU
Supermicro X9, X10 mainboard with IPMI
64GB DDR3 ECC RAM
6-8* HGST HE 6TB disks
2* S3500 480GB SSD's
1* LSI Raid/ HBA 9211-8i, M1015, H330 etc
2U Chenbro or Supermicro chassis with single power supply
APC UPS

Archon

Jan 6, 2018
Thank you pricklypunter
I am not into buying used, but new prices do not seem that bad fore these parts. However I do have a couple of questions for educational purposes? 1) the motherboard bios the IPMI, may i ask why this particular bios version 2) how do you tell what gen a xeon processor is?

CreoleLakerFan

Oct 29, 2013
If you must buy new, research a Lenovo TS 140. That said, you are likely to find much better value building your own out of the used components @pricklypunter referenced above.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
CPU's can be identified usually by reading the serial code printed on the device. A quick check on the Intel Ark for the chip your looking for, or at, will help too. If you already have one installed, Intel also have a CPU util that will read the CPUID and give you the information that way etc, although there are other free utils out there that perform similar functions. Of course, the golden rule is to ask the supplier and confirm what you're buying!

The reason I mentioned having IPMI, is that even although you may not need access remotely for your users, you may yourself need to access it remotely if there's a problem and you're away from home. Shutdown, Startup, Reboot, Making adjustments etc, can all be performed remotely. IPMI allows you to do that "out of band". It also allows you to monitor the server operation, watch for excessive temperatures, poor power supply performance etc. Even if the server is in your basement, it's a really handy thing being able to just reboot it from your laptop. A killer feature is remote console, you can boot it remotely and watch the console very nearly as if you were sitting in front of it, you can also use iKVM and mount an ISO file locally, then perform remote installs etc, all from your bedroom! It's trick and once you have had a taste of it, you'll accept nothing less :)

Archon

Jan 6, 2018
@CreoleLakerFan Thank you for your suggestion of the lenovo TS 140 it looks like a real nice server, and would serve my current needs, but I am concerned if a max of 32gb of memory would not leave much room for future proofing. would 32gb be enough for everything listed in my first post?

@pricklypunter thank you for the education it is greatly appreciated, Those features of having IPMI and iKVM sound really really sweet, I am though worried that seeing I am new to servers I would not be able to protect my server properly. I just done a little googling research on IPMI and iKVM that is how sweet those features sounded to me even though I thought i did not want access from outside my home network. but a few articles said it is a security risk and servers with those options should be isolated, however they where older articles and not sure if they fixed or patched those concerns or if there is a safe way now a days to protect those systems that use those protocols?

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
It is certainly true that the IPMI protocols are insecure, but really, no less secure than any other public facing network, when it comes right down to it. However, that being said, having IPMI public facing, is a lot more dangerous, because of the sensitivity or nature of what it allows you to do. You therefore need to make sure that you take sufficient steps to protect access to it from outside unauthorised sources. The best way to achieve that, would be the use of a decent Firewall and secure VPN instance. Remember, the primary purpose of having and using it, is for remote management, as such, you are not going to be firing GB's of data repeatedly over it in any sustained manner. It is not your primary "Internet" from the user's perspective, it is an entirely separate, out of band access method to essential management tools. Obviously there's no need to actually make it public facing at all, if you don't want to, you could just use it from your local LAN to manage your server, which just makes things a lot more convenient for you, especially if it's physically located in the basement, a cupboard etc. My point is really this, obtaining a good used mainboard with it onboard is really no more expensive than buying one without it, why limit yourself :)

Archon

Jan 6, 2018
@pricklypunter thank you so very much for the education, I feel like I am learning a lot, but the deeper I venture my learning into the world of servers I find myself wanting every feature available lol. However I do not have the funds for it all at this time. I think your recommended set up is what I am going to go with, building it should be a breeze but setting all that up is going to be a huge learning curve, but well worth it. again thank you for all your wisdom.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
No problem, we are all here to help, whenever you need it, or have questions etc. The wealth, breadth of knowledge and experience from members here, is nothing short of truly staggering, so don't be afraid to post, someone here will be able to help. The component list that I posted, was more to give you a feel for the kind of equipment and features you might like or require to achieve your goals, but I'm sure that building a system out of that exact list, will be a fun and rewarding experience for you and will certainly get you off to a great start in the world of servers :)

You also don't have to jump all in either, you should be able to get an "up and running" package together, for a fair bit less money if you're careful. It's all about prioritising and balancing your immediate requirements and the ability to achieve them, within your budget. For example, using an X9 SM dual chip board, you could just populate it with a single CPU and 32GB of RAM to begin with and then upgrade over time, as your demands of the system grow. That might free up some money to spend on bulk storage media for instance. You can add a UPS later etc. Ideally the components you choose now, allow a certain headroom for you to be able to grow into it and to meet your needs, at least in the foreseeable future. I almost guarantee that once you get into it all, your aspirations will grow, as will your investment, but it doesn't have to all be achieved on day one, build out as your experience grows :)

Also, don't be afraid of using used or recycled equipment, you will achieve a much higher bang for buck. Providing you buy from reputable sellers, surplus houses and IT recycler's, even trusted members here in the forums, you will not go far wrong. Keep in mind that this is enterprise level equipment, the reliability factor here is far higher than what might be seen in the average home computer market.

Don't worry, the whole affordability thing is something we all struggle with I'm afraid, so you are not alone there by any means. I'll simply caution you on the great deals and for sale forums here, hide your wallet before reading them if you don't want to listen to it crying :D