Need help outfiting a Dell M910

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Kaytro

Currently breaking things...
Feb 24, 2015
I recently purchased a Dell M910 barebones blade server and was wondering what the most cost effective method of outfitting it for video compression using handbrake and running low memory and cpu usage vm's on Hyper-v. The operating system I will be using is Windows Server 2012R2 Datacenter.

Which cpu to get?
Do the 75xx series cpus support non-ecc ram?
Is it worth it to spend the extra money and use the E7-48xx cpus?

Biren78

Jan 16, 2013
If you are using handbrake, you should be running a E3-12x5 v1 2 or 3 CPU with the integrated GPU for quick sync. It'll be faster than a dual socket E7 v1 and use 1/4 the power or less.

Reactions: T_Minus

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
If you are using handbrake, you should be running a E3-12x5 v1 2 or 3 CPU with the integrated GPU for quick sync. It'll be faster than a dual socket E7 v1 and use 1/4 the power or less.
Interesting... I never have looked into handbrake (due to my limitations here) but the onboard GPU makes that big of a difference?

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Interesting... I never have looked into handbrake (due to my limitations here) but the onboard GPU makes that big of a difference?
Yes for sure, I record 720p video from various web channel, couple years ago, I had to use I7 or I5 to have flawless recording.
Today, with the recording software utilize Intel quick-sync. I downgraded my recording rig CPU to a 3 years old Pentium dual core 1.x ghz cpu.
The quick-sync stuff is amazing, the slow / poor old Pentium CPU render the stream for display as well as encoding the stream, writing to a slow hard drive, at the same time.