Need Help on Dell Build

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

yksdez

Aug 9, 2022
Hello All,

I'm looking for any suggestions as this is my first build and I'm so close...yet so far :D

I have a Dell 7920 Tower, where I'm trying to install:
2x Xeon 8173M
12 x 64GB Hynix 4DRx4 HMAA8GL7AMR4N-VK 2666mhz ECC sticks
4x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus (via an Asus Hyper m2 card).

I'm able to get into the bios and see the 2 CPUs, all of my drives and so far 4 of the sticks if placed in DIMM slots 1 & 2 for each CPU.

Here is my problem: If I put in any more sticks the computer does nothing when I turn it on. It powers up but I have nothing on video. The power button doesn't display any codes either.

I've tried swapping the sticks into the known working DIMM slots and it works.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Unsure if there is a bios setting that I'm missing.

Thank you

Last edited:

zunder1990

Nov 15, 2012
I am watching is chain has I have a dell 7910 showing the same symptoms. It had been running for almost a year with no problems, then over night it would not boot. It powered up but no video, no bios beeps, power button solid. Swapped in known good GPU but no luck. Ordered a new motherboard but same thing, removed all but one stick of ram for each cpu no luck. I got a new PSU coming if this does not work, the whole system will be trashed.

as a side note I find it annoying that there is no built in video of those systems it makes troubleshooting so much harder.

yksdez

Aug 9, 2022
as a side note I find it annoying that there is no built in video of those systems it makes troubleshooting so much harder.
Agreed! At first I thought it was the GPU but confirmed it wasn't. I've never had such poor luck at troubleshooting. How many sticks are in your 7910?

zunder1990

Nov 15, 2012
Agreed! At first I thought it was the GPU but confirmed it wasn't. I've never had such poor luck at troubleshooting. How many sticks are in your 7910?
8x 16gb. one in each white slot. I can get a picture of it later today.

Sean Ho

seanho.com
Nov 19, 2019
Vancouver, BC
seanho.com
So it sounds like populating certain DIMM slots causes it not to boot? Just a shot in the dark, try reseating the CPUs, taking care with the torque on the cooler screws? (Check the pins with a bright light while you're in there.) Also it should boot with single CPU; try that?

mrpasc

Jan 8, 2022
Munich, Germany
Have had similar trouble with my 7920.
I assume you have added your additional sticks accordingly to Dell 7920 RAM population
switching the bios to not to stop/hold on any errors was solution for me. After I switched that setting I got that “warning:amount of system memory has changed” message instead of black screen. There I could hit F1(?) key to continue boot.

Last edited:

zunder1990

Nov 15, 2012
update on my own dell t7910 problems, swapped PSU, powered it on and display shows up. Ram changed hit f1 to reboot. After hitting f1 and it rebooting, windows starts up. I shut it down from windows and reinstall ram(only had one stick per cpu) the first time. After installing the rest of the ram to bring it back up to 8 sticks total the system does not want to boot again. I remove the 6 sticks just put in and still does not boot. Even tried moving GPU to another slot still no boot. Also tired removing cmos battery to clear bios settings, no luck. I am getting a real anger with Dell for not putting a built in video port and not having bios code dimply or beep codes.

yksdez

Aug 9, 2022
Have had similar trouble with my 7920.
I assume you have added your additional sticks accordingly to Dell 7920 RAM population
switching the bios to not to stop/hold on any errors was solution for me. After I switched that setting I got that “warning:amount of system memory has changed” message instead of black screen. There I could hit F1(?) key to continue boot.
That I have. By any chance do you recall what the name of that bios adjustment was? If I get back into the bios, I'll look to update it. This is such a finicky machine.... Thanks!