need help for a networking build

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Sean Ho

seanho.com
Nov 19, 2019
Vancouver, BC
seanho.com
The switch specs will say 802.3af PoE (15W) or 802.3at PoE+ (30W). Some can even do both, with PoE+ on fewer ports. I'm not familiar with that specific AP, but most still work just fine when powered with 15W PoE, just with reduced MIMO or max bandwidth, and often without PoE passthrough on the ethernet ports. You will not hurt either the AP or the switch.

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
Ideally you need a PoE++ (802.3bt) capable switch, but the ones that support it and 2.5Gbe are a bit rare.
On the page that you (OP) linked to, Netgear recommends their ms510txup switch which will do both 2.5Gbe and PoE++.

According to the Datasheet the WAX630E will not work on 802.3af PoE.
But it appears that a 802.3at PoE+ will, but with reduced max. throughput of 50% on 5Ghz.

Honestly, unless you are really itching, I think it would probably be wise to wait a half year or so.
It seems to me that there are too few Wifi 6E access points, and those that are come with some significant limitations (probably because it's a higher end solution requiring more power than needed for typical home use - or something like this).

I read somewhere that Ubiquiti has 6E AP coming out sometime soon-ish called Unifi 6 Enterprise.
Even if you don't like Ubiquiti, more options is generally always better.

carlos.gongora91

Mar 31, 2022
Ideally you need a PoE++ (802.3bt) capable switch, but the ones that support it and 2.5Gbe are a bit rare.
On the page that you (OP) linked to, Netgear recommends their ms510txup switch which will do both 2.5Gbe and PoE++.

According to the Datasheet the WAX630E will not work on 802.3af PoE.
But it appears that a 802.3at PoE+ will, but with reduced max. throughput of 50% on 5Ghz.

Honestly, unless you are really itching, I think it would probably be wise to wait a half year or so.
It seems to me that there are too few Wifi 6E access points, and those that are come with some significant limitations (probably because it's a higher end solution requiring more power than needed for typical home use - or something like this).

I read somewhere that Ubiquiti has 6E AP coming out sometime soon-ish called Unifi 6 Enterprise.
Even if you don't like Ubiquiti, more options is generally always better.
thanks for the help RTM