Need Help finding a 4p Xeon E5 v1/v2 motherboard

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Kaytro

Currently breaking things...
Feb 24, 2015
I need help finding a motherboard that can handle 4 2011 Xeons.

The CPUs I have are ES E7 4640s.

I would prefer the price be below $700

Second hand would also be fine.

Last edited:

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
Supermicro has several good boards, though in general they seem to require Supermicro cases, which isn't a bad thing. Some of the boards are DIMM-heavy while others have more PCIe but fewer DIMM slots.

I use this one:
X9QR7-TF-JBOD

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
Supermicro has several good boards, though in general they seem to require Supermicro motherboards, which isn't a bad thing. Some of the boards are DIMM-heavy while others have more PCIe but fewer DIMM slots.

I use this one:
X9QR7-TF-JBOD
cases* I think. Meant to mention that. They like proprietary form factors so you either be doing some drilling and tapping or buying one of their chassis.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I think that I will go along with that motherboard and hope for the best. If that plan fails horribly I will just sell the 4640s and get some normal E5s and go with the 2x2 server route. Thanks for all the help. :)
The issue is powering that motherboard. Some resources you may want:
Intel R2000LHMKTELEC Chassis Maintenance Kit for Server Board S4600LH2 S4600LT2 | eBay
Intel FXXLHPPDB Spare Power Distribution Board for S4600LH2 or S4600LT2 Families | eBay

I do not know which power supplies the chassis takes. That might give you a fighting chance at powering up the motherboard though. If it were me, I would get the chassis.